• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M40 improvement saga

lnill

Member III
I have posted various questions over the past year or so to get help with some engine problems. I decided it might help someone else out in the future to share my experience.

Things started out with me getting white smoke in the exhaust. I replaced injectors and glow plugs. Injectors hoping that would help the smoke and glow plugs because I was in there and they are only $8 each (Kubota parts). Unfortunately, this had no impact on the smoke.

Pretty soon after, I started having a hard start problem. I ended up rewiring the engine compartment including several of the modifications that have been documented on this site. I also replaced all the gages on the panel. One of my posts after I completed this was that I saw a big voltage drop on the glow plug switch. Long story short, I went back later and rechecked and got essentially no voltage drop across that same switch. Talking to a electrical engineering friend he suggested that maybe with a high current draw (about 30 amps on my circuit), if we had been pressing on that switch for some time, we probably heated it up enough to create a temporary resistance in the switch. I don't know if that was the case or not but if I only press for 10 seconds or so there is no drop.

At this point, I still had a starting problem and smoke.

The yard mechanic checked out the engine and found poor fuel delivery on the #1 injector. We rebuilt the fuel injector pump. Bingo. I also changed the thermostat since my engine ran at 160 and I wanted to get it up to 180 (another post I found here). Started and ran like a champ. Much more pep and could now get 6 knots at 2000 rpm in no current.

But still had white smoke although not as bad.... My auto mechanic suggested that my problem was in the exhaust heat exchanger.
So I pulled it and took it to a radiator shop (there is a blog post by Mainsail on this). That (finally!) fixed the white smoke.

This all took me almost 2 years but since at one point I was thinking I might have to repower, I am very happy to say the engine runs great and I am now pretty confident it will last a long time. I also learned quite a bit so it was worth all the emotional stress I went through trying to get a reliable engine. At the end of the day, I think I needed to do pretty much each thing that I ended up doing but the Injector pump was the one item I had not seen mentioned on the site.

Grateful to all the folks who make this site available and provide such great info. I don't think I could have ever fixed all this without that resource.
Lee Nill