• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

engine problem

jwallybrown

My Universal inboard diesel has recently weakened for unknown reasons. At full throttle it reaches 2000 rpm but the boat is barely moving. It used to max out at 3000 rpm. I'm new at engine repair. Any recommendations?

Neil Gallagher

1984 E381
Check your prop for marine growth. In our waters the prop need to be scrapped of barnacles about every 2 months. Sounds like yours is fouled.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
My Universal inboard diesel has recently weakened for unknown reasons. At full throttle it reaches 2000 rpm but the boat is barely moving. It used to max out at 3000 rpm. I'm new at engine repair. Any recommendations?
Could be any number of things.

Will the engine reach full RPM in neutral? When was the last time you removed and inspected your exhaust riser? (Those can get plugged up over time.) What is the condition of your prop? Just a few items for starters....

Leander

Member II

Will the engine reach full RPM in neutral? When was the last time you removed and inspected your exhaust riser? (Those can get plugged up over time.) What is the condition of your prop? Just a few items for starters....

Has the appearance of the exhaust changed? I second the idea of documenting max RPM in neutral-that should help decide whether you have a problem with engine or drive train (including prop).

If engine max RPM in neutral has declined, check fuel quality and flow rate as one of your early steps.

jwallybrown

Yes. When in neutral it reaches full RPM. When in gear it is significantly weaker. The boat also barely moves forward at full throttle.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes. When in neutral it reaches full RPM. When in gear it is significantly weaker. The boat also barely moves forward at full throttle.

As another poster suggested, the prop may not be functioning very well.
...Either fouled badly or eaten up by stray currents. Perhaps. (Does your marina have a reputation as an electrically "hot" marina?)

Can you have a look at in in the water? Either by direct observation or putting a waterproof camera down there on a stick?

Loren

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Yeah it is very possible that the prop is fowled with growth. The first thing I would do is dive to check the prop. I have a dock neighbor that had the same issue with his Cal 34 with a Atomic 4. Before he discovered that his prop was covered with growth, before he found out he went ahead and took apart the transmission to service it. That made no difference. Another friend of mine with a E-27 also had this problem twice. Not only did he have no power but he couldn't steer. The rudder was also bound by growth. Getting regular hull cleanings and inspections below the water line is a must. Hopefully you get lucky and that's all it is. I have my hull cleaned monthly and I've never had that issue.

Leander

Member II
As another poster suggested, the prop may not be functioning very well.
...Either fouled badly or eaten up by stray currents. Perhaps. (Does your marina have a reputation as an electrically "hot" marina?)

Can you have a look at in in the water? Either by direct observation or putting a waterproof camera down there on a stick?

Loren

Looks like water temperature in Richmond today is over 80 deg F. Just put on a bathing suit and take a quick look at the prop. Odds are currently highest that that is your problem, fouled in some way.

steven

Sustaining Member
I have an A4 but if it's the prop the principle is the same. At the beginning of the season tied to the dock I max in forward at 1900 rpm. By late July (yesterday), wide open is 1500rpm. It's barnacles on the prop and shaft. If I have a diver down to clean it, the RPM will go back up.

Agree with others posting here that you should a look at it to see if its fouled, before jumping to more drastic considerations.

--Steve