• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 38 / Bimini

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Hello,

I was hoping someone could post a photo or two of a successful bimini installation on an E38. We've been trying to visualize one, but aren't quite sure how it would work with the low boom and the backstay. Any info would be great!

I see a lot of other boats with pretty pimped-out biminis, but their booms are so high, I don't know how they flake the main sail without a step ladder or a bosun's chair/safety harness! I think the E38 was designed more to be sailed than a dock-side canvas condo.

Thanks,
Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
One major canvas change will give you a lot more room for your dodger and bimini.

Convert from a drape-over style sail cover to an on-top cover, like the UK LazyCradle we installed last year. The boom will still be at the same height, but no more concerns with chafing the cockpit canvas.

Picture attached -- our former standard type sail cover was always chafing on the dodger.
Now that we have some more room, our next canvas project will be to have a larger "cruising dodger" put on our boat. We need a bimini, too.

Anyhow, a bit of design food for thought...

Loren

Attachments

• Us @ Rosario 7-14.jpg
    Us @ Rosario 7-14.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:

ddoles

Member III
Mark,

I just had a bimini installed on my 1988 E38-200 this spring. I can get some photos this weekend when I'm at the boat. But to give you some key measurements, I have 6'4" headroom from the cockpit sole forward of the binnacle to the underside of the bimini frame. For me this is plenty. From the top of the bimini to the boom, the clearance is about 2-3". Loren is correct about the drape-over style sail cover, which is what I have. To keep the sail cover from chafing against the bimini I just tie it up with a sail tie and that keeps enough separation. Regarding the backstay, the bimini has a slot with zipper cut in to accommodate the backstay. This works fine and allows the bimini to reach aft as far as the stern rail. I've been very happy with the bimini. This weekend, sailing on a sunny, hot summer day, the admiral commented that it was the best investment we ever put into the boat! I would highly recommend this upgrade.

Dave

ddoles

Member III
Here are some photos of the bimini recently installed on our E 38-200. Not shown is the connector piece that runs from the bimini to the dodger and side and rear panels to block the sun when low in the sky.

Dave

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• _DSC0222.jpg
    _DSC0222.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 528
  • _DSC0223.jpg
    _DSC0223.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 448