• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Choosing a Boatyard

Glyn Judson

Boatyard professionalism, etc.

Christian, Thanks for the good check list, I know it will be a big help to folks. I'm reminded of the high level of professionalism I experienced in Ensenada, Mexico at the Baja Naval boatyard. The speed and quality of their work would put any stateside yard to shame. I arrived with the owner of an Ericson 39 who had it on the hard there, early on a Saturday morning at around 0800. Lots of work was being done on her as we arrived and additionally he asked if a teak cockpit grate could be made. The young 'supervisor" clad in kakis and Baja Naval polo shirt grabbed his radio and asked for the shipwright to meet us on deck. Minutes later he arrived and assessed the situation. Using thin scrap wood battens and a hot glue gun he quickly made a pattern of the entire cockpit and was gone. Fast forward to around noon and time for lunch, I walked to the restroom to wash up which led me through the wood shop. The teak grate was 3/4 done and by time we were ready leave at 1500, it was completely done and in the boat. That's just one example of the speed, eagerness for the business and ultimately, quality of that grate and everything else they do down there. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Christian, Thanks for the good check list, I know it will be a big help to folks. I'm reminded of the high level of professionalism I experienced in Ensenada, Mexico at the Baja Naval boatyard. The speed and quality of their work would put any stateside yard to shame. I arrived with the owner of an Ericson 39 who had it on the hard there, early on a Saturday morning at around 0800. Lots of work was being done on her as we arrived and additionally he asked if a teak cockpit grate could be made. The young 'supervisor" clad in kakis and Baja Naval polo shirt grabbed his radio and asked for the shipwright to meet us on deck. Minutes later he arrived and assessed the situation. Using thin scrap wood battens and a hot glue gun he quickly made a pattern of the entire cockpit and was gone. Fast forward to around noon and time for lunch, I walked to the restroom to wash up which led me through the wood shop. The teak grate was 3/4 done and by time we were ready leave at 1500, it was completely done and in the boat. That's just one example of the speed, eagerness for the business and ultimately, quality of that grate and everything else they do down there. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA
I, too, did a haul out at Baja Naval in fall of 2007 with my previous boat (a Catalina 30). Everything you said about that yard is true. It was the best haul out experience I ever had, and the total cost was about 60% of what I would have paid had I done it locally. In fact, the only way I could have come close to the price was if I had done all the prep and painting work myself, paying the yard only for the haul out and lay days. As it was, we didn't have to lift a finger.

If the trip down and back were not so much fun I would not have done it just for savings. But it makes sense if you want to go down there anyway. I did the trip with a couple of my buddies and we had a great time. I've never considered haul outs "fun," but that one sure was. My friends and I enjoyed roasted chickens and Cuban cigars while the yard staff handled all the boat work. The yard was immaculate and modern and the staff professional. The only downside was that they had to order a cutless bearing from San Diego, which meant we had to stay an extra day or so--which didn't break our hearts in the slightest! :nerd:

I'm thinking I might do the same trip again in a year or two, but this time on my much smaller E26-2 and with only one of my buddies. I think I may have them remove all of the old layers of bottom paint (not a fun job) and start from scratch on the paint. And maybe throw in a wax job for good measure.