• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E31 Independence - Staysail Traveler Question

TakeFive

Member II
I removed the staysail traveler. The track was fastened to teak mount with a 1/4" rubber gasket between the teak and cabin top.
Not sure of the purpose of such a thick piece of rubber, might have been difficult to match the teak mount with the cabin top.
Rubber would allow for a lot of variation between the two.
I'm thinking of just putting in a piece of .090 EPDM in between with a lot of squishy stuff on both sides of EPDM.
Can anyone think of any reasons why I shouldn't do this? Should I stick with original 1/4"?

Thanks for any ideas

-Garrett

TakeFive

Member II
Update - Staysail traveler

I went with a thin piece of epdm slathered with life calk to take up variations in non-skid deck. 1/4" rubber may have been added many years ago by previous owner. Obviously not a factory job. The 1/4-20 X 6 1/2 bolts were actually 6" bolts with an additional 1/2" threaded piece welded on. Holes were drilled directly through core, no epoxy/redrill so there was some minor core rot.

Not a quick or fun job, PO assembled everything with precursor to 5200. Biggest pain was trying to re-staple the ceiling liner. I was not the first one to take it down apparently. The teak traveler base is now sanded and varnished, new hardware A/R, new sta-set lines, a pound or two of butyl bedding.

Bowsprit next in line.