• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

bimini

Navman

Member III
I wanted to know if anyone has any suggestions for a bimini for a E38. I have a dodger and would now like a bimini and connector. I know I do not want the single point frame as they are always in the way of the winches. I saw a stern rail mounted frame which left the combing area open for sail trim and winch work which I liked. Does anyone know of any companies which can produce a bimini just based on the make and model? This would eliminate the need for measuring on board. It would also open up my selection of manufacturers/ canvas workers by not having to stay local due to the measuring issue. Any help would be appreciated! Or, if you know of anyone in the area who does good work promptly and at a good price I would be all for staying local.
P.S. we are in the Chesapeake Bay eastern shore area.
Thanks
Don Moran AKA Navman

ddoles

Member III
Don,

I just had a bimini made for my 1988 E38-200 and it turned out great. It included the connector to the dodger and there is no interference with the winches. I had it made while the boat was in Rock Hall by Canvas by Victoria. She is located in Worton, MD and came highly recommended by several people in the area. You can contact her at vicki.babylon@gmail.com. She is very good and therefore in high demand, so it might not be prompt. Having said that, I tried to connect with several other companies in the area and experienced unreturned calls, no shows for appointments, etc. Vicki was great to work with. Regarding measuring, I don't think anyone would try to do it without measuring and if they said they could, I wouldn't trust them. There are too many variables and personal preferences.

Dave

Navman

Member III
Dave,
WOW! Thanks for the info. I am keeping my boat at Green Point Marina on Worton Creek, so this is perfect! I know this is the busiest time of the year for bimini's as everyone wants one NOW, But I am a realist and just want to get one ordered up. I will certainty be giving her a call to set up an appointment. I will let her know of your referral. Where do you keep your boat? I met a couple yesterday with an 82 E38. They were also on Worton creek. Would like to try to set up a raft up or something with other owners in the area just to have fun and exchange information. Should you like to contract me directly you can reach me at dpmail@yahoo.com
Again, Thanks a lot!
Don Moran

ddoles

Member III
Don,

I just moved the boat from Rock Hall to Jersey City, NJ which is much closer to home. If not the raft up would have been a great idea.

If you're interested, I can send you some photos of the bimini. One thing we did a bit different than many bimini's I've seen is to eliminate the support straps that run forward from the bimini. It seemed like the straps in the typical setup would be in the way whenever you enter or exit the cockpit. To do this required additional stainless supports to secure the structure without the straps. Naturally, it cost a little extra, but for me the unimpeded passage into the cockpit is a big advantage. And there are a number of other bells and whistles that Vicki can explain. Good luck.

Dave

Hanktoo

Member III
added the bimini

attachment.php
timing is everything. Vicki just finished mine. We had the dodger, Vicki added the bimini, fly and wheel cover. I echo
Dave's comments. Very pleased with the work. Pic attached

Attachments

• New Bimini E 35-2.JPG
    New Bimini E 35-2.JPG
    87.8 KB · Views: 1,006

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sheet question

Must be me, but I cannot tell from the pix just where the main sheet is led when the connecting piece is in place. Is that connecting piece split to let the sheet stay parked in the center when the boom is centered?

Thanks,
Loren

Last edited:

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Vicki is making my bimini too! I think the fact that she is in such high demand says a lot about her work. I gave her a deposit in the Fall, and hopefully will have a bimini before the end of June. There are examples of her work all over my marina, I think it is worth the wait.

GrandpaSteve

Sustaining Member
Enjoying the shade

Vicki is making my bimini too! I think the fact that she is in such high demand says a lot about her work. I gave her a deposit in the Fall, and hopefully will have a bimini before the end of June. There are examples of her work all over my marina, I think it is worth the wait.

Enjoying the shade.

Attachments

• IMG_20150728_074050.jpg
    IMG_20150728_074050.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 357

Navman

Member III
Thanks Grandpa Steve,
I met Vicki last Friday and got measured up. Am awaiting a quote and then will place the order. Looking for an early spring delivery 2016. In the meantime I have a temporary sunshade rigged which can be used under sail. Drawback is that I cannot see the sail trim too readily. It keeps the sun off of my first mate which makes her happy which makes me happy.

Don / AKA -Navman
SV Optimist II E-38
Green Point Landing
Worton Creek Md.

Shadsboat

Member I
How about out in the Pacific NW

I also have an E38 in need of a bimini, but alas do not have access to your amazing creator in the NE... Does anyone know of a similar artisan in the NW perchance?
Thanks,
Paul

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Usable under sail?

yes there is a small hole for the mainsheet.

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been agonizing over this: End boom sheeting on an E35-II. I'm very interested in adding a bimini/extension to the dodger, and to also use it under sail. Does your design account for this, and if so, how? Or is it just for use at the dock/at anchor/when motoring?

Navman

Member III
end boom sheating

On the E 38-0, the we have mid boom mainsheet which is led to the deck mounted winch just above the bulkhead. That means we don't have the mainsheet issues you have. The bimini is made for use while under sail. For end boom sheeting I don't know what they would do except maybe put in a cutout for the sheet. It will not be as watertight when raining, but I think anything which provides shade is well worth it in the dog days of summer. Consult a local canvas maker as I am sure they have encountered this many times before. You can also go on-line and do a search of different styles of bimini's.
good luck and "may the shade be with you"

Navman
SV, The Optimist II
E- 38

old salt joseph

old salt joseph
Bimini in the pacific nw

I also have an E38 in need of a bimini, but alas do not have access to your amazing creator in the NE... Does anyone know of a similar artisan in the NW perchance?
Thanks,
Paul
I used King Marine in Seattle to rebuild my hardtop dodger. Just replaced canvas and used top grade strataglass windows. They delivered on time with high quality work and solid price quote. Compare their quote with anyone and you will not be disappointed with price or quality. Their phone # 206-283-9346

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So you're sayin' it looks like a mushroom, is that it? You're sayin' it looks like Sarah Jessica Parker's boat? You're sayin' Neville Chamberlain carried an umbrella, and he sold out
Europe? You're sayin' it's not an umbrella at all, it's a parasol, which is what Victorian ladies carry to walk their pekineses?

And I say, what it is you find so wrong with pekineses!