• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

anchor locker drain

monicam

I'm an intruder on this list. I actually have a Tartan 27-2. But, I noticed that some Ericsons have the same anchor locker drain arrangement, with the drain emptying on the point of the bow. This limits the type of thru hull fittings I can use. Whatever fitting used to be there is no longer. I found some impact drains that look like they might be what was used, but can't find one small enough. The fitting in the locker looks like it would take a 5/8 " hose. Any ideas ?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
G'day. Got a cell phone photo of the situation?

For starters, as others chime in, you might check the threads listed below ("Similar Threads"). It's a popular topic here.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Intruder Alert!" (as they say in the movies)

I'm an intruder on this list. I actually have a Tartan 27-2. But, I noticed that some Ericsons have the same anchor locker drain arrangement, with the drain emptying on the point of the bow. This limits the type of thru hull fittings I can use. Whatever fitting used to be there is no longer. I found some impact drains that look like they might be what was used, but can't find one small enough. The fitting in the locker looks like it would take a 5/8 " hose. Any ideas ?

Thanks for dropping by!
Sidebar: When (very seldom!) anyone wants my opinion on shopping for sail boats, I always mention Tartan among the "upper tier" of craft along with Ericson, CS Yachts, Hinterhoeller, and C&C... among a few others.

Our boat has its anchor well drain hose clamped to what looks like a piece of quarter inch copper tubing that is very well glassed into the very front of the bow about a foot above the waterline. There is about 4" of that tubing available on the inside to clamp to.

I got better acquainted with this assembly when I had to temporarily remove that hose to get better access to that area to glass in a backing plate for a new anchor roller.
Interesting task, ooching my way partly into that area with tools and a light source... :rolleyes:

So, there is no "thru hull fitting" per se on our boat for that little drain, but the connection seems secure.

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On our 1984 E30+ we also have a copper tube but I think it's about 3/8" with clear vinyl hose running up to the anchor locker. If I ever have to replace the tube I would consider using pvc tube like in a plumbing application.
Frank

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Fab your own with some tubing and a bit of epoxy?
Patch the hole in the stem and put a real fitting a bit farther aft to one side on a relatively "flat" surface?
Enlarge the hole to fit the fitting that you can actually buy?

And while working on the stem, maybe add a bit of armor, for things that go bump in the GPS/Autopiloted night?
Oh, and while we're at it, better add a wash-down pump, and some nozzles on the bow roller...

<--- (Sitting in the kitchen, drinking coffee and poking around the internet when I should be working on my own boat.)

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
Loren beat me to it, as I was going to say that the "fitting" is just a short length of metal pipe glassed into the hull.

monicam

Thank you

Thanks for all the great info. It appears that both the anchor locker drain and the sink drain were glassed in pipes. It makes me uneasy. But, I have time to think about a different setup before it's time to hit the water.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Thanks for all the great info. It appears that both the anchor locker drain and the sink drain were glassed in pipes. It makes me uneasy. But, I have time to think about a different setup before it's time to hit the water.

Well I never really thought about how secure the installation was, but now that you mention it, one does wonder how easy it would be to push that tube all the way in or out. Perhaps if you were doing this yourself you could improve the hold on the tube by roughing up the surface with a file before glassing it in. Or even better, squeeze some ferrules onto the pipe so that after the resin hardens the tube could not easily slide through the hole even if the bonding broke free?

Glyn Judson

Flakey drains.

Guys, I had a similar experience when replacing the center, aft of three cockpit drains in our E31. The dang tube was a common, thin walled brass sink or basin drain such as you'd find in the home plumbing section of your local hardware store that had been glassed in at the factory, grrrr! Furthermore, it was on the verge of being eaten completely through which would have resulted in the 1 1/2" hose separating from the scupper and possibly sinking the boat. The fix was to install a proper Perko scupper with check ball such as this one currently being offered on eBay: 141605547953 I bought three of them used at Minney's not too far from home and as I recall, paid $15 or so each one of them. Then, and this is for you Loren, had to strip all the chrome off them before installation. It's all good now. It might be worth some of you, especially E31 owners to check that aft drain, it might be in the same shape as mine was and a tragedy about to occur. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Pete the Cat

Member III
I have a 32-200 new-to-me and cannot figure out where that locker drain is supposed to go. Where is the water directed? To the bilge somehow? I had the boat out of the water and there was no through hull hole up there at all--unless someone covered it up at some point.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Hi Pete, most of the anchor lockers do drain into the bilge.

Climb into that skinny little doorway in the V-berth and take a peak, you'll see the drain line disappear into the bilge.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Pete,

Good idea to resurrect this topic thread after your search. I think you'll find that your anchor locker drains through a tube to a hole in the stem, that is, overboard.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
Anchor locker drain on '85 E32-3. Don't know of there is a copper pipe epoxied in there, of if it's just the tubing pushed through the hole in the hull surrounded by sealant. Never had any leaks.

20161024_144817.jpg

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Although I need to dive into my anchor locker situation soon, I haven't spent much time up there. I did notice the holding tank vent has similar construction. under the metal cover was a copper tube glassed into the hull. I ended up using it has a drill guide for a 1 1/4 hole saw to make the hole for the new 3/4 thru hull vent. Unfortunately I don't think I took any pictures. Probably not very useful for the anchor locker drain discussion, but it's kind of interesting to me that Ericson used glassed in copper tubes in multiple places.

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
.....it's kind of interesting to me that Ericson used glassed in copper tubes in multiple places.
Add dorade drain hoses to the list.

Post #5 of this thread shows where I had to remove mine to address a leak: