E-38: Single Reef OK?

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi,

The PO of my E-38 bought new sails about a year before I purchased her. So, they are about 2-3 years old (still crisp). They are Neil Pryde sails. Full batten main. 130 genoa with foam luff.

My question is: For some reason, the PO ordered the main with only one reef point, which looks to be about 25%. For you E-38 owners, is this sail combo and single reef adequate for most conditions? Should I consider adding another reef if I decide to go down the coast?

Thanks,
Mark

lnill

Member III
Hi,

The PO of my E-38 bought new sails about a year before I purchased her. So, they are about 2-3 years old (still crisp). They are Neil Pryde sails. Full batten main. 130 genoa with foam luff.

My question is: For some reason, the PO ordered the main with only one reef point, which looks to be about 25%. For you E-38 owners, is this sail combo and single reef adequate for most conditions? Should I consider adding another reef if I decide to go down the coast?

Thanks,
Mark
I reef early. 14-15 knots. I have never used the second reef but then I would not be out past 20 knots. If you want to be out in such conditions you might want the second reef. Also, you don't mention your keel. If full keel, less of an issue. If wing keel, definitely 2 reef points. I have the wing keel and a wife who does not like to push the limits ;-)

mkollerjr

Member III
Blogs Author
I reef early. 14-15 knots. I have never used the second reef but then I would not be out past 20 knots. If you want to be out in such conditions you might want the second reef. Also, you don't mention your keel. If full keel, less of an issue. If wing keel, definitely 2 reef points. I have the wing keel and a wife who does not like to push the limits ;-)

Competition keel, 6'-6"

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More reefs don't cost much to put in. I don't have a 38, but I think the question is--it's blowing 35 and is the first reef enough?

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Our 35-3 main came with only a single moderately deep reef in the main. We've never needed the second reef in the PNW. If it was forecast to blow 30+ we would opt to stay put. We do this for fun. :)

If we were going to cruise further afield, or were in a windier area, we'd add the second reef. As Christian wrote, they shouldn't be difficult or expensive to add.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I would absolutely add a second reef. We used our second reef on occasion during big blows on the Great Lakes, so I can well imagine needing it if you were going coastal cruising. A double reefed main can also be great for stabilizing the boat when motor sailing in rough weather.

Last edited:

Bob Robertson

Member III
I'd definitely recommend at least one more reef point.

We've had our boat since 88 and are on our second set of sails.
We've had three main reef points on both sets of sails.

Your only other option would be to drop the main when the wind cranks up. In my opinion that would be way to much work, to often.

Enjoy!
Bob