• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Concealed inset hinge replacement

Haiku

Member II
Has anyone found any fully concealed stainless steel inset hinges to replace these?
http://www.sea-dog.com/groups/1580-semi-concealed-hinge

I'm adding a false drawer front beneath the new sink and countertop in my head that I would like to look like a drawer, therefore, no hinges visible.
Looks like I can probably get some from these guys, I just don't know which ones to get. Sugatsune.com
Possibly these?
http://www.sugatsune.com/products/P...ID=5&SUBCATID=10&PRODUCTID=304B-46/14, C46/14

Or something even simpler?

The picture shows the drawers without the fronts on yet and the cutout hasn't been made for the false front yet, but they will match the standard E27 doors and drawers.

Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
Couldn't find any replacements so I just used the standard semi concealed hinges. Still have to find drawer handles or knobs.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 42

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I made access doors to get to the engine water seacock on each of my e29s. Before you had to empty the storage under the sink and remove the panel that is the floor to get to the seacock. I just ground a relief in the back of the doors that extended fully to the edge that allowed a relief that could be caught by a finger, it is on the somewhat blind side and not visible. A knob would not match the rest of the boat. In the picture with the door open you can just see the relief on the right end of the door.

What wood did you use to make the doors? I have one more to make that will be about 8x22 inches probably will use oak.

P4030582.jpgP4030581.jpg

Haiku

Member II
That's a good idea, Randy. Unfortunately my drawer fronts aren't thick enough to be able to notch out a finger pull. I may end up routing out a handle just like the rest of the doors in the boat to match but I'm leaving that decision up to my better half. I made them out of mohagany to match the rest. The difference in figure isn't as pronounced in person as it shows in the picture using a flash.

In case anyone else is wondering, the faucet is pressurized and folding to get out of the way. I initially made the galley faucet pressurized as well but went back to using the Whale foot pump instead for less water consumption.
The head sink drains into the raw water intake for the head itself with a separate shut off valve. The left 10" of the countertop is hinged to access the manual Whale holding tank pump out which is why there is a finger pull in the countertop itself.
Now I just need to fix the leaking portlight above!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
The flash will accentuate any difference in finish or wood. I have pictures that look like totally different colors yet to the eye the match is very close. Good luck with the leak, that is one of the things on my list, re-bed the deck hardware on hull 447.

Haiku

Member II
Folding countertop

In case anyone wanted to see. The entire countertop can be removed easily for full maintenance access to the pump.
I used starboard for the drawer slides which seemed to work very well.
The wire running along the back is for a solar panel up front and is no longer visible.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Nice solutions

I have a similar single lever faucet for my head sink. I need to finish a permanent installation after testing it for a season. We've pretty much gotten used to the on-off-hot-cold lever. I have the Scandvik style that is a little taller with the half-circle spout (like a bar faucet). It doesn't come out so far and I'll have to mount it slightly closer to the edge of the sink for the permanent location. It also swivels and rotates down to get out of the way of the mirrored cabinet door above the sink.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More Faucet trivia

I have a similar single lever faucet for my head sink. I need to finish a permanent installation after testing it for a season. We've pretty much gotten used to the on-off-hot-cold lever. I have the Scandvik style that is a little taller with the half-circle spout (like a bar faucet). It doesn't come out so far and I'll have to mount it slightly closer to the edge of the sink for the permanent location. It also swivels and rotates down to get out of the way of the mirrored cabinet door above the sink.

I replaced our worn out original Grohe sink pull out faucet (they do not appear to make that model any more) with a look-alike from Scandvik. The shape of the pull out is not quite identical, but really close. Not inexpensive, under either name, but a good quality piece of goods.

We use the pull out feature for rinsing dishes every day when cruising. The little slide-valve shut off fitting on the end is handy too.

http://www.scandvik.com/index.cfm/method/Shopping_Products/CatId/200/ID/702.htm

Loren

Attachments

• Scndvik pull out.jpg
    Scndvik pull out.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 319
Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
Ambassador faucet

I had originally planned on installing another Whale foot pump for the head faucet but then realized due to the curve of the hull, the pump would have to be installed quite high off the the cabin sole to make it fit. To install the pressurized system wasn't much more expensive than buying another Whale foot pump.

I'm very happy with the hinged countertop as well. The holding tank pump out remains concealed yet easily accessible.

It was definitely a much more costly project -monetarily as well as time- but worth it. It's incredible how useful drawers are versus a big empty space where things go to get lost.

Dylan

Haiku

Member II
Update

Anti-siphon loop added to toilet intake line. Still no knobs on the drawers...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Why not router out finger holes that match what Ericson did originally?

I bought some of these when I added another bilge access to our boat. In my case I epoxied them in and sanded them smooth (no ridge) to match the way that Ericson had done the existing finger pulls in the original access sole panels.

Loren

Attachments

• Teak finger pulls.jpg
    Teak finger pulls.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 258

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Dylan,

Great looking project! I like how you retained the wet locker area. Where does that drain? I don't know if it would work for your top "drawer" (might be too heavy and pull the front open) but I used a hook for a pull that seconds as a towel hook.

Attachments

• head3.jpg
    head3.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 250

Haiku

Member II
Those are all great ideas

The idea with the head was to add some colour and something a little different where it won't clash with the rest of the boat. I've also made a medicine cabinet that I have left for my other half to finish in whatever colour she sees fit. We will most likely end up installing some porcelain knobs of some variety. Or maybe not. So many other projects on the go, like not falling off my mast, that finding knobs or pulls seems a little trivial.

We wanted to keep a hanging space for life jackets and jackets. Extra counter space didn't seem necessary. Truth is we don't use it for hanging wet stuff. It would work. It just empties onto to the cabin sole in the head and then dribbles around the base of the mast into the bilge. It's just nice to have somewhere to hang things and there's actually enough room to store a 5gal flexible water tank in that space as well.

I'm departing tomorrow for a two week solo trip so hopefully everything works as it should!

Dylan