• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bilge pump location/ leaking/Ericson 30+

rogerfern

Member II
Noticed water on bilge, turned on electric bilge pump, I can hear pump operating but no water is taken out, while looking around engine from underneath sink door, I noticed water running from back of engine area. Once I turned off pump, it stopped, does anyone know where bilge pump is located? Thank you

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Only the Hose Knows

Noticed water on bilge, turned on electric bilge pump, I can hear pump operating but no water is taken out, while looking around engine from underneath sink door, I noticed water running from back of engine area. Once I turned off pump, it stopped, does anyone know where bilge pump is located? Thank you

Perhaps that hose is original and is now many years beyond it's useful life... i.e. it is brittle and cracked.

Best to re-new the bilge hoses. Technically it is not too hard; it's the crawling into impossible spaces that makes it ... 'interesting'...
:rolleyes:

(Been there and done that stuff on our '88 model.)

Loren

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Roger,
On our E30+ the bilge pick up is in the opening below the salon table. Then the hose goes into a valve/manifold in the head under the sink on the left side -- one red valve opens to drain the shower sump, the other to drain the bilge. You can only do one at a time to get suction.
From there the hose runs under the floorboards to the bilge pump located in a port under the quarterberth cushion towards the back of the berth. From there a hose runs to the transom where it exits.
If you have water near the stern it could be either the connection at the pump or the transom thru hull.
It's all part of new boat ownership. It took me the first year to crawl all around and figure it out.
Frank

Bilge E30+

Hi Roger,
On our E30+ the bilge pick up is in the opening below the salon table. Then the hose goes into a valve/manifold in the head under the sink on the left side -- one red valve opens to drain the shower sump, the other to drain the bilge. You can only do one at a time to get suction.
From there the hose runs under the floorboards to the bilge pump located in a port under the quarterberth cushion towards the back of the berth. From there a hose runs to the transom where it exits.
If you have water near the stern it could be either the connection at the pump or the transom thru hull.
It's all part of new boat ownership. It took me the first year to crawl all around and figure it out.
Frank

Frank, Do you have a drawing or pictures?

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sorry, Shannon, I don't have any pics, but I can certainly answer questions if you are having trouble with your bilge pump or system.
Frank

David Grimm

E38-200
My 38-200 has 3 bildge pumps. Two electric under the aft seat for the table and one manual in the cockpit. The main electric pump (jabsco) diaphram pump operates off of a float switch low in the bildge under the dining table as well as an instant on off the breaker panel. The secondary is a Johnson 2200 which is controlled by a float switch about 6 inches higher then the main. This is also wired to an audible alarm.

Recently as planning an off shore trip I tested the secondary by lifting the float and got nothing. Looking at the wiring for a min I declared that it never worked. Its wired wrong! Switch, pump and alarm all tested out good. I plan on rewiring soon using terminal blocks for all connections to aid in testing and on the fly replacement. I worry about corrosion of the terminals but at least a quick visual can see if there is any as opposed to peeling back layers of tape and shrink wrap.

I also have a auto/manual/off bildge switch that appears to be wired to nothing. Why would anyone want to set a bildge switch to off? Sounds like a recipe for disaster!

David