• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

prospective mods on my new E29

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I am getting my new to me E29 ready for the coast and cruising. I have cut out the seat backs on the port side for storage (starboard was done by PO).

I am thinking of moving the fuel tank to open up the port locker, I can move it back 8" giving a little better storage, The other thought is to move it to the open area that is almost non accessible under the back of the cockpit. The tank would most likely have to be mounted across the boat which would make the fuel pickup be out of the fuel when on a port tack and heeled, not a real problem if motoring but could be an issue if motor-sailing, also the shape of the tank would help since the tank is deep on the pickup end.

I am also thinking of making an access door under the galley like my 78 model E29 has but extend it over under the settee almost to the access door for the settee. I have already made a door to access the cooling water cutoff that is under the sink and a DITA to get to without this access.

Any thoughts on these mods??? I don't see a moor problem other than the fuel pickup???????

Pictures attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20141212_121027.jpg
    IMG_20141212_121027.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_20141212_121007.jpg
    IMG_20141212_121007.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20141212_120838.jpg
    IMG_20141212_120838.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 60
  • 100_1718.jpg
    100_1718.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 63

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
If it were me I'd ask a tank manufacturer about mounting athwartships instead of fore and aft. Would it create a problem with fuel sloshing around and clogging filters.

clp

Member III
Randy, my fuel tank is right in front of the rudder post, and holds 21 gallons according to the math. Tight squeeze, I've had it out and cleaned.

And that port side access under the drawers.....I think you might find a small bulkhead right at the transition point between drawers and the seat. Mine does..

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Clp,

Do you have a photo of your fuel tank location? Filler tube location and the like. That would help. You are right on the bulkhead at transithion from gally to seat, One door would be easier to make and give access to both sides of the bulkhead, Rumkin my 78 E29 has the storage under the drawers from the factory. I also added an access door under the sink to get to the engine cooling water seacock. This boat project is getting out of hand, I have a boat that needed bottom paint and I have turned it into a total refit, my thoughts are to not have to do so much work when the boat is on the coast.

Keiffer

Member II
Moving to the coast

Randy,

Where are you going on the coast? Down to the Gulf where you trailer very year to race?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Hi Kdiffer,
probably going to Buccaneer yacht club, Mobile bay. Can get to Pensacola easily from there and I love their club.

clp

Member III
Yeah Randy, give me a minute and I will take comprehensive photos, and measurements as well. My tank will carry 21 gallons according to the math, and it will just BARELY squeeze in and out of the cockpit locker, (I've had it out and cleaned). The fill is on the starboard seating area in the cockpit, but anyway.....I'll get back to you..

clp

Member III
Randy, I measured the tank at 9 inches tall, 20 inches fore to aft, and 28 1/2" wide. The P.O. glassed in a small shelf to sit it on, and it all looks fairly simple.
it is offset a little to the starboard side for the filler neck, which is big time convenient for measuring fuel with a dip stick.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 28

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
CLP,

Thanks for the info, my tank is more of a wedge and is 16" at the deepest part, meaning that it will not come out through the locker. I may just un-mount my tank and turn it 90 degrees to place it somewhat like yours. The other option is to cut the deep part off and remove it and replace with a 18 gallon plastic tank I have in my spares. The added usable space will be worth the effort.

Have a great Christmas.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine is mounted much like CLP's, but it's plastic and only holds a pitiful 12 gallons. There is a lot of empty space beneath it, but it's difficult to see how to get a more form-fitting tank in there, short of removing the cockpit. Bladder tank? Two small tanks?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Toddster,
I may be able to get my tank out through the quarter berth door with the door removed and possibly a little nip in the liner. My son gave me the 18 gal plastic tank (never used) six years ago from his stash and I have held on to it thinking someday I might need it. I don't understand why there isn't a cockpit lazarette to access the starboard part of that area.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I have eyeballed that little aft starboard wasted space beneath the cockpit bench as a possible propane locker site. Someday maybe.

clp

Member III
It IS a functionless hole back there. I virtually had to dig my way back through the quarter berth to access it. Seems a great spot for propane. Maybe the liquor locker..

clp

Member III
I don't know, think about it Randy. At least one bottle should be kept there, due to the fact that once you have accessed that area, you deserve a drink..