• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

share on Ericson 27 in Marina del Rey

df1995

Member I
Hey Eriicson friends:

You may recall I asked opinions about an Ericson 27 I considered purchasing on eBay. After an inspection and test sail by two experienced Ericson sailors from this board, I decided NOT to buy.

Now I have the opportunity to get a SHARE in an Ericson 27 in Marina del Rey. I met one of the partners, Bob, who seemed to be a good guy but one can't be too careful in this kind of deal. I was wondering if anyone here knows these guys and can comment on them (in a private message of course). The boat is in Lot 52 on Fiji Way. It has wheel steering and furlering jib. An Atomic 4 recently replaced an outboard. The boat's name is "Sea Wolf" which is displayed on the transom.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I've known a few people who did partner successfully, and I have known a few that were less than successful.

I once chartered a boat in the BVIs with a couple who I didn't know. A lot of good stories came out of it, I was embarrassed a couple of times, and I only lost about $100, but I learned I didn't want to do it again with people I didn't know.

They turned out to be cheap, ugly over weight nudists that didn't have any pride or sailing ability. I was a victim; the admiral overrode my objections to going.

I just keep going back to what my dear old pappy used to tell me: " A partnership is no ship to sail".

PDX

Member III
Been there. Done that.

My advice is tread very carefully, particularly if the other partner(s) is someone you don't know.

Issues that will arise are:

1.) Apportioning the time of boat use (not a problem in my experience).
2.) Who does the upkeep and how often (definitely a problem in my experience).
3.) Agreeing on the amount of money devoted to upkeep (definitely a problem in my experience).
4.) Getting the others to contribute monetarily even to expenses they previously approved (definitely a problem in my experience.

Also, beware family dynamics (one spouse really into sailing, the other not wanting the boat at all) and financial hardship (a partner saying yes to an enterprise they cannot afford due to other demands on their resources). Both were problems in my experience.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I've been in two partnerships over the years, and they worked out well.

I think it helps if one partner is experienced and the other is a newcomer who wants to learn, it makes for an easy dynamic.

It also helps if one partner, at least, enjoys working on boats and being a maintenance/improvements slave.

Two cash-challenged owners with no time or inclination to get hands dirty means problems ahead.

Last edited:

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I did a partnership on a Neptune 24, the way we did it was a set a value on the boat, 80% value add for upgrades and zero value for maintenance. I did an Excel spreadsheet to keep track of who owed who and how much as well as the updated value of the boat. The concern was scheduling use of the boat. Turned out we sailed together most of the time. I bought Rumkin my E29 in 2004 and my partner offered to buy me out so he could move the boat to another location. We reviewed the items on the spreadsheet, made a couple of adjustments and he wrote a check. I still visit the Neptune at her new location and sail with my previous partner.
This was a test of a partnership on a boat either of us could afford, with plans to buy a Gemini 105 MC catamaran later in a partnership, just the two of us, He bought the Gemini and I sail with him and do maintenance on the boat for the fun and food even better than being half owner.
If you can't afford to buy your partners out or can't afford to lose the investment I would not go into a partnership and especially with people I just met. Chuck and I are better friends because of the partnership but it could kill a friendship.

df1995

Member I
So no one knows the guys who own Sea Wolf out of Marina del Rey?

So no one knows the guys who own Sea Wolf out of Marina del Rey?

Hey Eriicson friends:

You may recall I asked opinions about an Ericson 27 I considered purchasing on eBay. After an inspection and test sail by two experienced Ericson sailors from this board, I decided NOT to buy.

Now I have the opportunity to get a SHARE in an Ericson 27 in Marina del Rey. I met one of the partners, Bob, who seemed to be a good guy but one can't be too careful in this kind of deal. I was wondering if anyone here knows these guys and can comment on them (in a private message of course). The boat is in Lot 52 on Fiji Way. It has wheel steering and furlering jib. An Atomic 4 recently replaced an outboard. The boat's name is "Sea Wolf" which is displayed on the transom.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

df1995

Member I

Dude.....you might be better off talking with his neighbors...

Thanks. Good idea. I know there are local (Los Angeles area) Ericson owners on this board and thought it likely that they would recognize the boat.

clp

Member III
You know, here's another idea while I'm thinking on it..

Go out on a sail with him. By the time a short shakedown is done, typically, you learn about someone's boat lernins..

just another thought.

Ccaptain

Ccaptain
Joint Ownership

Years back I did a joint ownership with a friend of mine on an O'Day 31. We ended up sailing more with each other than separately. We had two main rules. All expenses were shared equally and neither party needed an excuse to pull out at any time with first right of purchase to the remaining party at the selling price. We owned the boat for 4 years, I bought him out, and we are still friends 15 tears later.

Ccaptain