• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Bow anchor roller

Chris Rau

My 1978 E34T has a hawse pipe but no windlass or anchor roller. I would like to install a bow roller. But, I have no forward anchor locker and the access port through the forward bulkhead into the chain locker is only big enough for my head. I have no idea how I could reach all the way forward into the fore peak to properly install a backing plate and bolts. In fact, performing any service on my bow cleats or forward stantion bases requires contortions that would impress a cirque-du-soleil performer.

How to I get access to the back-side of the hardware mounted forward of my chain locker bulkhead? Does anyone else have experience with this and what did you do? Why didn't Ericson make this space more accessible?

I have seen plans for creating an anchor locker but it requires cutting a big hole in the foredeck. This would provide nice access to all the foredeck hardware but I am very hesitant to undertake such a drastic project unless absolutely necessary. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Make a Hole" .....

I see a need for an emlarged opening into the foreward extremes of your boat. While the finishing out of the new access door may be a bit time consuming, the "saber saw" solution may be called for, here....

Loren

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
yep

As usual I agree. Just happen to have a photo of my chain area. I have an E26 and I have no trouble getting into the area for running light access or backing plate access or anything else.

Attachments

• locker.jpg
    locker.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 245

Jim Payton

Inactive Member
jeeesh

Sorry I didn't realize that the setting on my camera was for such a large picture. Anyway Chris my boat is down in the Chula Vista Marina if you would like to take a look at how it is on my boat I would be happy to meet with you some time and we can compare.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
A note about pictures...

In posting attached pictures, I have had the same problem. Solution is to save your present text to clipboard, and then modify your original message -- when you do this the picture will be lost.

Paste in your text.Then go back to the desktop, open the photo in whatever photo application you use, and look at the "image size" in the edit menu of most applications. Quite likely it will be something like 8 by 10 inches...
Reduce it to something that will fit in this message area in most 17 inch monitors (to pick a common size) like 4 by 5. Do a Save As, and retitle it as something like ReducedChainLockerPic.JPG and then attach that new better-sized jpeg to your revised message in this forum.
Best,
Loren

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
More like this, maybe....?

This is what I did by reducing your photo, after dragging to the desktop....

Attachments

• resizedforepeakpicture.jpg
    resizedforepeakpicture.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 676

ref_123

Member III
How about E-32?

Guys,

I am about to start working on a windlass project... Can anybody comment on the access to the forepeak from the inside of the V-berth? I saw some screws in the bulkhead, but I am not eager to unscrew them, and the only other way there seems to be to pull out the anchor bin, which is even less tempting... Any experiences?

Thanks,
Stanly

Chris Rau

Access

Thanks for the advice. Just for reference, here is a picture of my forepeak access. As you can see, there is not a lot of room to even make the hole bigger, though there is some. Thus, my dilema. It is counterintuitive to me that a 34 would have less access than a 27.

So, I continue to ponder the question. Does anyone else have more advice?

-Chris

FYI, the height of this opening is at most 18 inches. I was able to barely sqeeze my shoulders through but I was worried about being able to get out. And once I was in, I couldn't really do anything anyway.

Attachments

• chain_locker_sm.jpg
    chain_locker_sm.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:

Chris Remson

Chris,
My '78 34t has an extended bowsprit with dual anchor rolers. I didn't install it, but it appears to have been relatively easy due to its connection locations. I think it looks pretty good, too. Here's a picture. A deck anchor locker would be great, as would a sampson post for securing the anchor chain, rather than using the forward cleats.
Good Luck

Attachments

• boat109-0937_img.jpg
    boat109-0937_img.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 573

u079721

Contributing Partner
I'm pretty sure the opening on my E-38 is about the size of what you have on your E-34, so I know what you're going through.

In checking hardware one spring I found that one of my bow cleats was a bit loose, and I needed to tighten the bolts. In my case I was just barely able to reach the nuts from underneath to get it done. I took the door off and padded the lower edge of the opening, and equipped myself with a combination of socket extensions and universals. I then crawled in far enough to actually get both arms inside and get the job done - but my ribs were probably sore for a week!

If I had to do any serious repairs or modifications in the forepeak area this wouldn't cut it. I would be reluctant to enlarge the opening, especially since this is an important structural bulkhead. So that would leave trying to remove the anchor locker pan. Simple in theory, but boy would that be a pain!

Michael

anchor rode fix

you probably have done the fix already, but I would suggest you create a bitter end that goes through the anchor locker, beneath the V-berth and secures to something in next to Holding Tank...this cavity has alot more access.

Let's stay in touch...sounds like you and I have identical boats...my hull number is #101.

Joe Benedict

Member II
Anchor Roller Removal

I am actually thinking of discontinuing my anchor roller on my E29 - schocking! I would take pictures but we are getting ready to go sub-zero around here (second coldest Christmas Eve since 1870) and walking around on deck isn't adviseable. I have an anchor roller, roller furler, and a chain pipe. The problem is that because of the roller furler the only useful purpose for the anchor roller assembly is to store the anchor on deck. While using the roller assembly is fine in calmer seas, in a good storm the strength is in a set through the port or starboard chocks and the cleats behind them. Also, the extra length of the anchor roller is included in dock fees and becomes a nuisance with docking. Anyway, for those of us who sometimes need a picture, could someone post one looking down on deck so I can see how the anchor is rigged for setting. Other boats around here have a center bow cleat which makes for a neater set. Regarding space in the chain locker, I have had no problems with installing additional wiring in the raceways in this area. The loccker is finished with louvered doors. I'll look through my photo archives to see if I have a photo. Sorry for the wordiness.