• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Just replaced the oil lines on my 1GM

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Yesterday I replaced all 3 oil lines on my Yanmar 1GM. The original lines are steel and are a not uncommon failure point. What often does them in is exposure to salt water, usually from a leaking raw water pump.

The two larger diameter front lines are readily accessible but the smaller diameter line in the back requires removing the alternator, starter motor, and air filter canister. All in all not a horrible job. Granting that the results of a line breaking are potentially catastrophic (i.e., all your oil draining into the bilge) and that a couple of my lines looked dodgy, I thought it best to just replace them all.

The cost for all three lines was about $160. I was pleased to note that the new lines are made out of copper. They come unpainted so I went ahead and put about 5 coats of spray paint on them.

Last edited:

clp

Member III
You done good. That small line in the rear is seriously prone to rusting through, I've replaced a few.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
You done good. That small line in the rear is seriously prone to rusting through, I've replaced a few.

Thanks!

Were your replacement lines also steel? My new ones are copper and I'm hopeful that will make a difference. I also added 5 coats of paint hoping that will help.

I was contemplating painting them with liquid rubber to seal out the water but decided not to when I saw that the new ones are copper.

clp

Member III
You know, I can not remember. I do know that on an 'engine out', they all got painted liberally with Yanmars paint. Copper would be the way to go though, that particular oil line is number one prone to corrosion, and will make an owner thing a rear main is gone or something worse. Nah, a couple of coats on a copper line will last to the demise of the boat in my opinion.

(Note I have never had a HUMBLE opinion in my life)..

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
You know, I can not remember. I do know that on an 'engine out', they all got painted liberally with Yanmars paint. Copper would be the way to go though, that particular oil line is number one prone to corrosion, and will make an owner thing a rear main is gone or something worse. Nah, a couple of coats on a copper line will last to the demise of the boat in my opinion.

(Note I have never had a HUMBLE opinion in my life)..

I suspect my own demise will ensue before the boat's! My heirs will no doubt be thrilled that Yanmar switched those lines to copper! :)

Last edited: