• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ Marine head model?

Dwaynesjohnson

I have a 1984 Ericson 30 plus, the head is a Raritan, the pump is leaking and only pums water on the down stroke (told should pump both up and down stroke), I would like to buy a rebuild kit ($60-$80) vs a hole new head($300 plus). But I am not sure what model the head is. Does anyone know what model might be on this boat. Any advice on how difficult it is to do a rebuild vs. full head replacement? Thanks, Dwayne (first time boat owner)

P.S. I was told might be a PHII but also received indication that model may have stopped being used after 1981

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Raritan ph2

Our '88 model boat came with a Raritan ph2 factory head. Some years ago, having had no problems with it except a decade of wear, we opted to replace it rather than rebuild it.
I was told that there were design improvements in it including a much easier-to-rotate "dry bowl" knob, and this proved to be true.
I sourced ours thru a friend with a wholesale account and saved a few $, but no matter where you source one they are not a cheapie.
Good product, though, and I would buy one again if ever needed.
Loren

Last edited:

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
We also had the original Raritan ph2 and replaced it with a new jacbsco which we really like. I rebuilt the old Raritan but it still didn't work right. It was just too old.
I also prefer the push pull handle operation and locking handle on the jabsco compared to the lift/swing handle on the old Raritan.

Replacement is easier (less involved/dirty) than rebuild.

Last edited:

Blue Chip

Member III
Raritan

I am perhaps the moost un-mechanical guy on this site, and with the help of the on-line info from Raritan (deciding what model I have) and their diagrams etc. I can now take apart, replace all the o-rings etc flapper valve and stuff in the thing and reinstall it in under 2 hours.
The secret is going to the raritan site and studing and printig out the manual for the PHII. Their are 2 kits you can buy for 2 different purposes. Decide what you need. We had the "pre-1990" version of the hardest thing to replace on it...and changed it out for the newer version.
All this "blather" will make perfect sense when you start studying the manual and reading the fine print on them.
Frankly at first I took the whole damn thing out, brought it home and set up a couple of sawhorses out in the yard...striped it all down, replaced the kits etc, put it back togethe and went back to the boat with a virtual brand new toilet for around something like a hundred bucks.
I had a pro replace all the old hoses with new "non-stink" ones and then I went to using fresh water. When you get aboard..there is NO...Nada>>>smell of sewage, stale water...old boat smell. ...etc.
Good luck...IF THIS 78 YR OLD funble fingers can do it...anyone can.

clp

Member III
Blue Chip said a very important thing. Several actually, but the removal of the thing, and rebuild in in some modicum of comfort, as opposed to the cramped quarters of the boat is a big thing. Four small bolts, small water line 'in', and the larger is water 'out'. There's no secret to the things. I've rebuilt dozens of the things, and they tend to be remarkably similar, and or easy.

i too like the Jabsco, despite all the crap I hear about them. The push/pull handle, and the Reliability are very good. Don't get me wrong, that PH 2 is top notch. I think it might depend upon whether you are a sit and pumper, or a stand and pumper. Regardless, you slather up that big O-ring in good Teflon, (superlube), grease, and they both will be happy pumpers. Sometimes I just go sit on mine for the entertainment value. The cool soothing seat......anyway..