• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Jabsco Manual Toilet Not Bringing Water In.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jabsco Manual Head. Models 29090-2000 29120-2000

First purchased in 2002.

Jabsco Manual Toilet Not Bringing Water In.

I'm miffed.

1) Replaced Joker Valve
2) Replaced Base Valve Gasket
3) Replaced Piston, Rod & 'O' Ring
4) Lubricated Piston "O" Ring
5) Replaced Top Valve Gasket

Completely disassembled and re-assembled the Head twice. I also watched all the "How To" videos on the Jabsco Site. http://jabscotech.com

I did find a leak in the hose where it enters the head pump from the seacock, but replaced that hose.

With the inlet seacock open and the switch on the head in the "draw in water" position, nothing comes in. I have tried filling the bowl with water to prime it, but still no water. Could my seacock valve be bad? I do hear water splashing under the hull when I operate the pump.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
If you disconnect the intake hose from the head and open the through hull does sea water come in rapidly? Wondering if something is clogging the through hull or intake hose.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
If you disconnect the intake hose from the head and open the through hull does sea water come in rapidly? Wondering if something is clogging the through hull or intake hose.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"

Thanks Paul, no I haven't yet. Just talked to my old mechanic and he said the same thing. I have given in and my old mechanic will be meeting me at the boat tonight. Guess I should have checked the obvious, but I am going to have the Pro give it his blessing. Thanks Paul I hope that's all it is.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Proven Fixit technique

Jeff, if you get frustrated enough...
I find that the best way to "fix" a Jabsco manual head is to remove it, hold it about 2' beyond the edge of your boat, and release it back into the wild.
Remember that tranquility can be achieved - sometimes - by "letting things go!"
:rolleyes:

Tongue in cheek, but not completely,

Loren

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, if you get frustrated enough...
I find that the best way to "fix" a Jabsco manual head is to remove it, hold it about 2' beyond the edge of your boat, and release it back into the wild.
Remember that tranquility can be achieved - sometimes - by "letting things go!"
:rolleyes:

Tongue in cheek, but not completely,

Loren

But Loren, I have already enjoyed 12 years of frustration with my old Jabby. What would I do then? :confused:

Glyn Judson

Jabsco water issue.

Jeff, With the understanding that your mechanic will be dropping by later today, I still want to share a thought with you as regards "I do hear water splashing under the hull when I operate the pump", that suggests to me that you might be hearing air bubbles emerging from the through hull. Is there anything you can think of to account for the pump functioning in the reverse direction? FYI, I have a completely rebuilt Groco Model K-H sitting in the garage and ready to go should you decide to change out your present one. The Groco K-H and WIlcox Crittenden Skipper II heads have a reputation for being the last heads you'll ever have to buy and I can attest to that in both cases. The Groco used to be in our boat up until about two years ago when for reasons not relevant in their discussion or making any sense in my own noggin, I bought and rebuilt the Skipper II which we now use aboard. I'd venture to say that I could let the Groco go for far less than the cost of a new Jabsco. Marilyn would be delighted, as she reminds me from time to time that it would be good to have the space back, in the corner where she keeps all her garden tools. One last word of cautionary advise if you will. Please be careful when getting frustrated with your pump. Don't operate it rapidly such that you lose your grip on the handle, for if you do you run the risk of getting a flush wound. Glyn, H: 310.453.1892, C: 310.804.9198

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff, With the understanding that your mechanic will be dropping by later today, I still want to share a thought with you as regards "I do hear water splashing under the hull when I operate the pump", that suggests to me that you might be hearing air bubbles emerging from the through hull. Is there anything you can think of to account for the pump functioning in the reverse direction? FYI, I have a completely rebuilt Groco Model K-H sitting in the garage and ready to go should you decide to change out your present one. The Groco K-H and WIlcox Crittenden Skipper II heads have a reputation for being the last heads you'll ever have to buy and I can attest to that in both cases. The Groco used to be in our boat up until about two years ago when for reasons not relevant in their discussion or making any sense in my own noggin, I bought and rebuilt the Skipper II which we now use aboard. I'd venture to say that I could let the Groco go for far less than the cost of a new Jabsco. Marilyn would be delighted, as she reminds me from time to time that it would be good to have the space back, in the corner where she keeps all her garden tools. One last word of cautionary advise if you will. Please be careful when getting frustrated with your pump. Don't operate it rapidly such that you lose your grip on the handle, for if you do you run the risk of getting a flush wound. Glyn, H: 310.453.1892, C: 310.804.9198

Oh I have a few "flush wounds". :boohoo:

Yeah, I thought about the possibility of some how getting the installation backwards, but that's pretty much impossible because Jabsco parts all only have one way they can fit. If it turns out that my head is toast, I may consider your offer to sell your Groco. In all honesty I have not had too many problems with the head over the past 12 years. The macerator is another story though. Put a new one in last year and it's working fine for the moment.

I have my mechanic coming down to try and free the locking nut for my stuffing box anyway, so he's going to get to the "bottom" of my head situation as well. :headb:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Jeff,

Although by now you might have it solved, I'm wondering if there's a way you might have installed the valve piece backwards or upside down--that's the small rubber piece that fits inside the square plastic housing by the handle--those metal valves that are held in the rubber part need to open and close in a certain way, so if you have installed it wrong, your toilet won't work. Just a thought...

By the way, we have had our Jabsco toilet for 7 years and it has been flawless--simple, reliable technology, parts readily available if needed, easy to clean, inexpensive to buy. I know I'm in the minority, with others complaining about them, but I'm very pleased with ours!

Frank

clp

Member III
Mine works like a champ. I'm a fresh water flusher though, and there is zero smell or problem. They can be rebuild stone drunk with a coat hanger in a hurricane.
That's the way I do it anyways..:)