• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New cabin top winch on a 29'

clp

Member III
So, has anyone here done this? I'm putting a small Forespar winch on the starboard side of the cabin, and a clutch in front of that. It's an attempt to put the main halyard in the cockpit, and I already own the blocks, clutch, and winch anyway. The winch looks like it will bolt underneath in that groovy overhead locker, (which is the coolest first-aid cabinet ever). The clutch will have to go obviously out in the cabin. So, any surprises under the hood? I mean basically the core in the cabin top. I read a fine article a couple of years ago about mounting winches fresh, and can not recall where. Anyway, any thoughts on this?

I did that on a previous boat. As long as your drill larger holes and fill with epoxy and then drill again and then life caulk the bolts and then have a good backing plate, you should be ok. The larger issue is that unless you bring your reefing lines aft, it's a nightmare. Day to day operation was easy to raise the main from the cockpit. But to put a reef I had to go to the last and then back and forth to the cockpit to raise and lower the Main etc. it got old. I now have the winch on the mast on my ericson and I'm leaving it that way. When I go to the mast, everything is there... So one trip to the mast to do the whole reeding procedure.

wheelsbykc

Mounting cabin to hardware

On my E29 I drilled a 5/8" hole through to top skin and into the balsa wood core. Then I ground a chisel point in the short side of an allen wrench. With the long side chucked up in a cordless drill and a shop vac to suck up all the saw dust. I routed out the core leaving a 1inch hollow around the hole between the deck skins. I mixed up some thickened epoxy in a disposable pastry bag and squirted it in, forming a "puck" between the skins.

Since there is no liner in the locker, mounting the wench is straight forward. but under the clutches the liner is about 1/2" below the cabin top.

I drilled through the liner with a 1" hole saw to slide fender washers over the bolts as backing plates then covered the holes with a blank teak cover plate.

I bedded all my hardware with butal tape (no 3M 4200 for me)

Cap'n Kevin
"Máirin"

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Do you singlehand, or, even with folks aboard, usually reef without asking for help?

A main halyard led back makes that impossible if you retain the usual reefing hook on the boom.

adam

Member III
Sorry to take this topic on a slight tangent, but I'm also thinking about adding a winch.

I have one of the E29's where the traveler is mounted on the cabin top. Has anyone changed their mainsheet such that it is routed to a winch?

Happy with the change?

clp

Member III
Hey Adam, you got any pictures of that bridged traveller? That is high on my list to get this aggravating sheet out of my cockpit..

adam

Member III
Hey Adam, you got any pictures of that bridged traveller? That is high on my list to get this aggravating sheet out of my cockpit..

What exactly do you want a picture of? Ordinarily, I'd just snap a few photos but at the moment my traveler is pulled off for deck painting.

This thread shows a cabintop traveler on an E29. One that has been changed to run to a winch. Does that help you?

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?9839-Pics-of-my-new-Ericson-29-hatch

clp

Member III
I guess more or less. I am going to pursue the bridged traveller in the near future, and I keep hearing noise about the boom will not hold up or something. If another 29 can do it, I can. Anyway, just the more pictures I keep on this, the better my engineering. My traveller now is at the base of the pedestal, on the other side of it from me. How incredibly dumb. Anyway...thanks man.

adam

Member III
I guess more or less. I am going to pursue the bridged traveller in the near future, and I keep hearing noise about the boom will not hold up or something. If another 29 can do it, I can. Anyway, just the more pictures I keep on this, the better my engineering. My traveller now is at the base of the pedestal, on the other side of it from me. How incredibly dumb. Anyway...thanks man.

I'm sure that someone else knows better than me, but it's my understanding that there are 3 separate blocks 1' apart to help distribute the load.

Maybe measurements will help.

My traveler is installed 28" in front of the edge of the cabintop.

There are three blocks hanging off the boom at 54", 66" and 78" from the mast.