• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-27 Wheel steering version new gas tank & stand pipe exhaust system w/ new A-4

Scott Abbott

Member III
Hello All,
I wanted to post a photos of my project replacing the general systems of my 27. I have opted to keep the spirit of all the original system, with a few upgrades with the idea being she is close to what she was in 1976.
1. new aluminum gas tank made from original tank that was mounted port aft, but bottom cut out so it could be installed. Built pie shaped platform accept front starboard tab made from 1/2" coosa board wetted with white tented epoxy and reinforced with fabric layer.
2. new standpipe installed with new freshwater cooing system wet exhaust system to stand pipe. Ordered the stand pipe from Moyer and modified locally to raise exhaust height 5". The pipe as it comes is too low. Nice part though and nice mounting hardware. Photo shows new replacement 3/4" coosa bulkhead I installed; oversizing it to allow new stand pipe exhaust.
3. New fuel system with cutoff at tank and new fuel filter
4. New A-4 installation with new block option; with updated gauges (Ispro)

Now dealing with bottom pock blisters by sandblasting this week and returning to boat this weekend for barrier coat application. Bottom paint next week and hopeful splash. Thanks all for those who gave me all the helpful advice. Special thanks to Al Frakes for technical and moral support!

Attachments

• CAM00456.jpg
    CAM00456.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 139
  • CAM00375.jpg
    CAM00375.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 104
  • CAM00461.jpg
    CAM00461.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 60
  • CAM00467.jpg
    CAM00467.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 61
  • CAM00469.jpg
    CAM00469.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 122

Scott Abbott

Member III
Few more photos

New engine cables were replaced too... been a long winter guys.

Attachments

• CAM00464.jpg
    CAM00464.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 51
  • CAM00468.jpg
    CAM00468.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 49
  • CAM00473.jpg
    CAM00473.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 54
  • CAM00475.jpg
    CAM00475.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 51
  • CAM00477.jpg
    CAM00477.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 52

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Impressive Scott!

Impressive Scott! "We can rebuild her...we have the technology". She's going to be better than ever. These boats are worth the effort. :egrin:

Haiku

Member II
Looks great! I'm just about it do the same thing. I've been debating as to what dimensions I'll make the new tank to fit through the cockpit locker. The original tank was 15gal. Do you know the volume of your new tank with the missing wedge?

Instead of cutting the corner off, I was thinking of just making the tank 12" wide on the top instead of angling from 12" aft to 16" forward. It would then fit through the cockpit opening width wise. Then I was going to make it taller. Not sure how much space there is, but by my calculations, an extra 3" taller would add 4.7gal. I think it would more than offset making it narrower.

Last edited:

Haiku

Member II
Not sure if it's just the picture, but it looks like you've used a brass elbow for your fuel feed. From what I've been reading lately in preparation for having my own tank made, you're not supposed to use brass fittings in aluminum tanks due to galvanic corrosion. Only aluminum or stainless fittings on the tank.

Scott Abbott

Member III
.8714 gallons = 111.54 ounces of loss

Looks great! I'm just about it do the same thing. I've been debating as to what dimensions I'll make the new tank to fit through the cockpit locker. The original tank was 15gal. Do you know the volume of your new tank with the missing wedge?

Instead of cutting the corner off, I was thinking of just making the tank 12" wide on the top instead of angling from 12" aft to 16" forward. It would then fit through the cockpit opening width wise. Then I was going to make it taller. Not sure how much space there is, but by my calculations, an extra 3" taller would add 4.7gal. I think it would more than offset making it narrower.

I figure I lost .8714 gallons in cutting off the bottom hull angle and making it flat. I duct taped that section of the tank that was cut off and filled it. That is what I put into it to fill the entire wedge. Small loss I think, and I like that fact that I could place it exactly where the other one was worked better as to allow my wet exhaust to have fall from the stand pipe to the transom exit. I am not sure about the brass issue with aluminum. The pickup itself is stainless. The brass NPT 90degree is brass and so is the cut-off. The brass touches the aluminum at the threads, but also has pipe sealant in there too that is non-hardening. I know aluminum to stainless will corrode too without 'never seize'. My old 30 year old tank had brass and a copper pickup (which I know is a no no too) but was still kicking. Come to find out, I was worried about my old tank having a potential leak and being crazy dirty inside. The leak was probably from the copper line that tied to the copper pickup! Oh, and the tank had a powdery substance that dusted the tank, but not enough of a problem to cut it out! Truth is, I could have probably gotten away with keeping it in and just replacing the pickup and fuel line. Anybody else have a dire warning about brass to aluminum?

Last edited: