• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-29 water intrusion

julibell

Member II
After a strong rain, I notice a good bit of water finding its way into my Ericson 29. The water gathers on the cabin sole and seems to be in the cub bard to the right of alcohol stove. NO water in the drawers, no water in the cubbard under the sink. no water in the cubbards behind the stove either. I can't seem to trace it... has anyone seen this before, anyone have an idea where it is coming from ???

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Welcome to the site!

There are a few ways to find out. One is to lay newspaper or plain brown wrapping paper on the counter where you're seeing the water and near there as well. Do a leak test with a water hose. Anywhere there is a leak will show on the paper.

You can also try the same thing with talcum powder but it's a little messy. Water will leave a track in the powder.

Rick

PS This is not really a topic for the for sale section. Maybe Loren or one of the mods can move this to a better location on the forum so you will get more input from the other owners.

adam

Member III
After a strong rain, I notice a good bit of water finding its way into my Ericson 29. The water gathers on the cabin sole and seems to be in the cub bard to the right of alcohol stove. NO water in the drawers, no water in the cubbard under the sink. no water in the cubbards behind the stove either. I can't seem to trace it... has anyone seen this before, anyone have an idea where it is coming from ???

Is there general dampness under the sink or anywhere else?

I resealed by boat from the top down trying to track down the source of water and dampness in my E29 before finally discovering it was the hull-deck joint.

Not necessarily your problem, but one thing to check. I fixed it by very carefully using the angle grinder to widen the gap slightly, then packing it full of 5200.

Other places to check are the chainplates and of course the portlights.

Try removing the wood strips running above the settees so you've got access and you can see what's wet in there.

Good luck!

clp

Member III
The handrails will also cause it. I had reseated the windows, chainplates, and stanchions, STILL water. I read on here, I think Randy Rutledge said it, but the handrails are a culprit. Sure enough, I took the rotten splintered things off of that black nasty deck, and wala. I shoved a wad of butyl in the holes and that was the end.
They go back on tomorrow. I put one very thin coat of polyurethane on them from the hardware store. Wonder if it will last five years?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
We really should spend more time on our boats on rainy days, to track this stuff down! The puddle on the cabin sole by the ladder, on my boat, comes from water siphoning through the hatch boards. (A leaky port light also formerly contributed.) I don't see a good fix for that particular drip except new hatch boards or a dodger.

julibell

Member II
Nothing under the sink... Handrails, ummmm will check them but it was a pretty steady dribble in a very heavy rainstorm. Thanks

mi.dreaming

The handrails will also cause it. I had reseated the windows, chainplates, and stanchions, STILL water. I read on here, I think Randy Rutledge said it, but the handrails are a culprit. Sure enough, I took the rotten splintered things off of that black nasty deck, and wala. I shoved a wad of butyl in the holes and that was the end.
They go back on tomorrow. I put one very thin coat of polyurethane on them from the hardware store. Wonder if it will last five years?

Do you have any pictures of this grand venture? I would love to see what I might be about to do....

clp

Member III
Oh yeah, I took dozens. Gimme a minute to compile them and post. I meant to anyway for the future use of this forum and have not got around to it.

I was kind of hoping someone would shoot me down over that polyurethane remark, but folks here know #1, I'll post some stupid crap inna second, or #2, people know by now I would never use such garbage. They now have ten coats of fine varnish on them, and will end up with about sixteen by the time I plug them.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oh. I just sanded all the varnish off my dinghy and redid it with one coat of polyurethane per your instructions.

clp

Member III
Haaaaaa ha. Seriously, you won't believe it; just last week this bloke is showing me his bayliner boat, had put PLYWOOD hatch doors on it, and a couple of coats of polyurethane on them, and remarked, "It all started going to hell in about six months...". I swear, I didn't even know how to act or respond..

.here's a couple of pics, it takes me forever to do this. We own the very latest, fastest computers and connections available, and the problem is as usual, the loose nut..

Attachments

• 2014-05-03 002.jpg
    2014-05-03 002.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 55
  • 2014-05-09 001.jpg
    2014-05-09 001.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2014-03-16 002.jpg
    2014-03-16 002.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 2014-03-12 002.jpg
    2014-03-12 002.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 38

clp

Member III
Random stuff. How'd ya like that pic of the extractor? That was a one in a million shot..

Attachments

• 2013-12-05 007.jpg
    2013-12-05 007.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2013-12-05 006.jpg
    2013-12-05 006.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 41
  • 2013-12-05 005.jpg
    2013-12-05 005.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 2013-11-09 007.jpg
    2013-11-09 007.jpg