• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E27 Hunting

Excalibur

I am intensily interested in sailing, but I only have expereince with power boats. I am nearing the end of my search for a boat, having finally settled on the Ericson 27. Lake Erie is my backyard.

I would be deeply greatful of any advice those of you with experience may have for me.

What are some key things I should check for (through-hulls, mast?)

Is the T-cockpit wheel model really better, or just preference?

Should I have the boat appraised before I make any offers?

May it be worth while to have a boat delivered, or should I concentrate on those on the Great Lakes?

Thank you

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome!

As actor Tom Cruise once said in a movie: "It's complicated..."
:)
You will get most of your questions addressed during the survey. You are right to consider the condition of the thruhulls and spar, and should have the engine surveyed as well. Check the bulkheads for leaks/rot where the chainplates carry the rigging load through the decks. The year of the boat will make a difference -- these boats had a long production run and there will be upgrades throughout the years by the builder. Prior owners may have made changes -- this can be a good thing, or sometimes not.
:rolleyes:
If you search this site for references to this model and the similarly-constructed E-32 and 29 from the same era, you should uncover a lot of material.
If you check the owners registry on another part of this site, you will find many owners willing to share their knowledge and experience. Understand, though, that you need to do some site searching yourself, so that you are not asking something that has been well-discussed already....
;)
For seaches, use the small icon on the upper right of this page.

If you are used to owning and maintaining a powerboat, you should do just fine. You will still have an engine, trans, controls, and fuel system to learn... and also the many subtleties of handling a boat under sail. I have spent a lot of time on boats, sail and power, and like both.
I do consider sailboats a lot less boring...
:D
As to wheels, lots of owners like them. I prefer a tiller. The later model E-27 came with a split cockpit, kind of like the E-32.
Either will work fine and both have drawbacks...
As to delivery, it's a tough call. If you are buying a boat for 14K (and there is an excellent turn key E-27 for sale at my YC now for this price) then one would have to consider how much to spend to truck it ... how far... since this service is priced by the mile.
I once spent 2K to bring home a 45K boat and thought it well worth it. As the transport $$ ratio to purchase price rises, at some point I would have changed my mind...
OTOH, my boat, an Olson 34, is very hard to find. I would have paid more yet -- but do not tell that truck driver!
:cool:
Keep us posted on your progress. Are there any photos on the web of your prospective purchase? The one in our YC is listed at http://www.cascadeyachts.com/subweb/SeaSpr0.htm
And, no I have no financial interest in passing that information along.

Fair winds,
Loren in Portland, OR

Excalibur

Thanks!

Thanks, Loren, for the great advice.

I'm Looking at an E27 up here on Lake Erie. It just came up for sale, and I'll go and take a look when they uncover it here in a few weeks. At $7,900 I have my reservations, But I'm hoping the boat is worthy.

If not, there are a couple of others located in the adjacent Great Lakes. I may consider hiring a captain to help me sail one back.

Thanks again,

Ronald in Akron, Ohio

Jack Crowe

Have you purchased your E27 yet? I have one that's soon to go to market as I have just up-sized to an E35. I've owned this craft since '88 - it's a 1971, hull number 57. It has wheel steering and an inboard atomic 4. I'd rate the boat in the "fair" condition catagory and would price it to reflect the current condition. I have been sailing out of Bayfield WI and she's presently resting peacefully on her steel cradle, waiting for her new owner to come and bond.
If you're interested send me an email and we can chat.
Thanks
JCC

Excalibur

pics~

I've looked her over and, structurally, she seems to be in good shape. No glaring problems (but I'm no expert). On the other hand the boat is stripped: no lines, fenders, saftey equipment, anchor, radio. Seems to have the original sails and original everything else. Sale is pending survey this thursday April 9th. One thing worries me a little though: The bilge is full of water...

1207128_1.jpg

1207128_5.jpg

1207128_4.jpg