• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Transmission problems

vulcan

After a great sail down to Mexico, my 32-200, with a Universal M-25XPB, is waiting for me to bring down a new transmission. I replaced my HBW 5 with a ZF 10 trans mission before I left but it failed too. I had reverse but the forward slowly deteriorated until I had no forward motion. I plan to take the following down to Mexico a new damper plate (to be determined ) , a ZF12M or ZF15M transmission (to be determined ) , and new motor mounts. This is my third transmission so I'm pissed. It should be noted that I added a cooler and there was no vibration at 1000 RPM and above, at time of failure. I never exceeded 1900RPM during operation. Has anyone had this problem or anyone with some words of wisdom.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Been there too!

After a great sail down to Mexico, my 32-200, with a Universal M-25XPB, is waiting for me to bring down a new transmission. I replaced my HBW 5 with a ZF 10 trans mission before I left but it failed too. I had reverse but the forward slowly deteriorated until I had no forward motion. I plan to take the following down to Mexico a new damper plate (to be determined ) , a ZF12M or ZF15M transmission (to be determined ) , and new motor mounts. This is my third transmission so I'm pissed. It should be noted that I added a cooler and there was no vibration at 1000 RPM and above, at time of failure. I never exceeded 1900RPM during operation. Has anyone had this problem or anyone with some words of wisdom.

Vulcan,

We replaced our Hurth with a ZF10 two years ago and thankfully no problems. We did replace the damper then as well. How many hours would you say you got from this latest tranny?
I don't blame you for being pissed, that is completely unacceptable.
FWIW, when I contact Beta about their replacement for my M25, the rep told me that he used to be an employee of the company that makes the ZF's and that they called them "dollar per hour transmission". Not very confidence inspiring.

Ever since I religiously pull the dipstick on the tranny as part of our pre-sailing checklist every time I take the boat out.

Good luck!
Rick

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have a good friend who has a boat near me (San Pedro) who is parting out an M25 and has a complete transmission. I believe it was a seized engine (not sure of the details) but there was nothing wrong with the transmission--again, so far as I know. I realize you might not want to buy a used one, but if you want to consider it I think the price he would be asking will be pretty low. Let me know if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with him.

lindaloo

Member II
You are not alone

This has happened to me as well. Universal is still selling M25XPB's to this day, which is totally immoral. Blame everything but themselves. (I've been on boats with shocking misalignment, broken mounts, for years and years. Yanmar 3GM still going strong as was the Kanzaki gearbox).

I gave up on ZF10's after the second one and now have a TMC40 Twin Disc (as used in Beta Marine). Jury's still out on results. OK so far.

You are on the right track going bigger. Looking at dimensional drawings online you'll have to squeeze an extra 12mm length in. Also the engine will have to go up 10mm to accommodate the increased drop of the output shaft.

Based on previous threads on this subject, I would pay close attention to these things. Make sure the damper plate slips snug into the input shaft splines. No slop allowed. If you are taking them with you, check it before you go. Take the gearbox in when you pick up the damper, fit it right there to make sure. Also check alignment as close as you can as you attach the damper and adapter plate. (You bolt the gearbox to the adapter plate first as I recall then adapter plate to engine). Point of all this is that side forces on input shaft are bad so watch out for possibility. Pull the motor well foreward to give you room and "visual" access.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Rob
Vancouver BC, E34

Last edited:

reflections

Member I
tranny

I put a new universal in my 32-300. First hearth z5 went in 125 hours. Was told not gaurenteed since it was over a year. Put in a zf10. It went after 125 hours. Was really pi...ed also. After much fussing & threatening to sue zf sent a mechanic to our marina & installed a new zf10 in out boat. that was last season so we will see what happens from here. Can't say that I have much confidence in this one.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
When the Beta Marine man referred to them as the "Dollar-per-hour Transmission" I lost all faith. Good luck with that one.