• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

32-2 rigging question

Hi everyone

So my wife and I are taking possession of a wonderfully cared for 32-2 in a month. Looking at sails inventory we found this stay sail which seems like a light air sail that gets hoisted up about 2/3 up the mast (maybe 3/4) and there's a t track towards the front of the boat, where you tie the front of the sail. It's supposed to be sheeted to these small winches on top of the cabin -- By the looks of everything the whole thing seems like a light air rig to add some sail area. The sail has its own wire luff, so no actual inner forestay needed... making it appealing for a storm jib set up.

The question is the following:

The genoa has good possibilities for reefing in a blow, but nothing compared to it not being there and us using a real storm jib. Is it possible to use the staysail setup to use in heavy weather as a storm jib instead of a small patch of unfurled genoa? It seems like the smaller triangle would be better suited and the slot would be just small enough with the main double reefed -- I can beef up the fittings on the cabin top to make the cleats etc. withstand a high wind scenario. The concern is that the mast is unsupported at 2/3 or 3/4 up where this sail would be attached. Short of running backstays - which I am not interested in... what is the consensus around here -- has anyone done this? (i.e. used the staysail for a storm jib). I'm kind of keen to make one myself and use it instead of the existing light air staysail. But I wanted to ask all of you in case that's an absolute no no.... The mast seems pretty beefy, and we're talking a tiny storm jib -- maybe 50-70 sq feet, just enough to create a slot, so not big loads, but then again, in a storm blowing 40 plus the equation changes, and being dismasted might not be fun with a new boat just yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

PDX

Member III
I suspect you are correct in that the staysail was set up with the idea of light air reaching. In fact there is a flash screen picture, on the front page of this site, showing an E-35-2 with just such a setup.

Storm staysails are specially made for that purpose. They are heavy. Problems of lack of running backstays aside, I wouldn't try to substitute a light air sail. I think you'd be a lot happier with a regular 85 or 90, even a used one.