• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M-18 M-25 Alternator bracket changeout

gulfcoaster

Member III
I've read numerous articles regarding the faulty bracket which secures the alternator to the engine. Ours is a 1987 M-25 which has the old bracket. I've since purchased the replacement parts which did not come with any instructions. I found a procedure on-line with photos to follow how to do the changeout. It seems a bit tedious. I'd like some input from some owners here. This seems to be rather important considering the potential damage which can occur. Should I proceed with this or ignore it and hope it doesn't happen to me? Some words of wisdom would be appreciated. We've had our boat for 14 yrs. The current bracket seems fine...SO FAR!

PDX

Member III
I can't guarantee that yours will fail, but I can guarantee that it had happened to a previous owner on our boat.

If you have the replacement parts already, and don't want to do the work yourself, you could get a bid or two from someone who works on marine diesels, perhaps someone who has done the change out before.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
You're probably referring to Maine Sail's how-to, available here. There are several others.

I think everyone who discovers this upgrade winds up doing it sooner or later. No fun being aware of a potential catastrophic failure, even if the odds of disaster are probably statistically low.

If your manifold studs are long enough, not that big or expensive a job. And some folks long for a bigger alternator anyhow....(although not me).

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Yes, do it. What's your entire engine worth to you?

This includes a link to Maine Sail's excellent article, as well as to one I wrote back in 1999, when I had the bracket replacement ON MY BOAT, as yet uninstalled, and the old bracket broke!

Alignment is critical.

So is getting the correct pivot bolt and arm bolts for your alternator.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,7917.0.html

In my case, I did NOT have to remove the entire manifold, plus my studs were short but still long enough to hold the new bracket.

If you don't have to remove the manifold, it's a rather simple task.

I helped a good friend do his on his M25 on his E32. We had to remove the old studs on his, they were too short, but MS's article explains how to do that. URBAN MYTH: many say that you have to take off the manifold if you have to remove the old studs. Not true.

HERE'S ANOTHER REASON TO DO THIS:

I have a good friend with an M25XP. He neglected his raw water pump and it leaked all over his engine. He had to replace his oil pan. He also just learned his timing gear cover is shot, rusted though. Now here's the part that oughta interest you: they don't make these engines anymore. The timing belt cover is no longer available.

They are difficult, if not impossible to find.

So, WHEN, not if, your alternator bracket fails catastrophically because it is a casting, and it RUINS your timing cover, you will have $7,000 to $12,000 to spend on a new engine.

All because it was too "tedious" to do four hours of work for a $200 replacement bracket.

Why people ask...

But, you and another Ericson owner have figured: "It's been working so far, why bother?"

Yeah, right...

Why ask?

For the past 25 years many, many skippers have been URGING other skippers to DO THIS.

We're not doing it 'cuz we feel better that you DON'T.

C'mon...

Please excuse me for my exuberance about this issue, but we have seen altogether too many skippers who have lost their entire engines because they didn't know about this issue. Now we're "exposed" to one who KNOWS it exists and is asking whether he should do it.

NAHHH, why bother???

Last edited:

Second Star

Member III
Alternator Bracket Replacement

I did this job on my M-18 and it was a bit of a pain as there were no instructions included. My notes on the job were that I pulled the short studs by putting a second nut on the stud and then pulled each on out in turn without too much trouble; none were rusted in etc. Didn't need to remove the manifold. The next point was that with no instructions and 2 belts included it took some messing around to discover a 1" different size to account for the slight difference between the M-18 & 25. Didn't have the issue with the hinge bolt size.

bobplummer

m25 alt.bracket

thanks gulfcoster i checked on my boat & the mod. has been done. bob plummer e-35 1984 #166 constant craving at bayview idaho.:nerd:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I bought the replacement parts and never installed them. Everything I read about the failures was related to the M25 engine; I could find no mention of the failure ever having occurred on the M18. (I think I may have even asked about it here or on the Catalina forum and never got an answer. Feel free to direct me to documentation of M18 failures if you know of any first-hand accounts.) My point is, just because the redesigned bracket will fit the M18, is it really necessary to install it on the M18?

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
A friend of mine fried his timing cover because he neglected his raw water pump seals. He found out that those covers are no longer made and not available. His yard traced one down in Michigan for $700!!! If he hadn't been able to have his yard find that one, he'd be out an entire engine.

If you can find replacement timing gear covers for your M18, then by all means, don't bother installing the new bracket to replace the old one which can fail catastrophically with NO warning.

Mark, I did answer your question way back when and suggested that you'd be foolish not to change it out.

I still feel that way.

We can only warn other skippers about issues we have learned about. We can't make 'em do the work.

That's what these and other boating forums are about: your safety.

It's like rolling a rock uphill sometimes...

And let's say it doesn't ruin your timing cover, just slams into your oil filter, then you have an expensive mess to clean up, and you may ruin your engine from lack of oil.

But, it's still your boat, your choice. Just don't say we didn't warn you.

Last edited:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Stu...and others...

Stu... and others....

All the posts so far mention the M18 and M25. What about the older Universal 5416, which has been replaced by the M20? The bracket looks similar to the descriptions on the Catalina website, but I don't know if there might be subtle differences that make it not required on the 5416.

If it is required, are the required parts the same and the installation process the same as well?

I am still using the original 55 amp alternator that came with this engine.

Thanks for any guidance!

Frank

Last edited:

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
Frank, good question, I don't know. But if it was my boat, I'd go to the Universal Westerbeke website and review all the Engine Bulletins for that engine for starters. OTOH, if it looks like the one in the pictures, then they only made one like that. Just check to see if it's a casting, and if it is...

Good luck

Frank Langer

I checked all the service bulletins and none mentioned the alternator bracket for the universal diesel 5416. I contacted Universal/Westerbeke and they emailed back a very pleasant reply saying that they had no indication that this was a problem for the 5416 and there were no service bulletins on it for this engine. They said there was no need to modify the engine, but suggested that I not overtighten the alternator belt to avoid damage to the timing cover.

I hope this wasn't just a round about way of saying "we don't know or aren't sure..."

I will take a careful look at it again, check the alternator belt and think about it lots... :confused: :0

Frank

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Thanks, Stu. Nice to know that I don't need to add another project to the list! And likely reassuring for other owners of this engine. I really appreciate your expertise and advice on this site!

Frank