• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E34 Electric Windlass Retro Fit

Gene Stoddard

Retro fitting an electric windlass

Has anyone installed or seen a power windlass installed that will work well with the on deck chain locker Ericsons have? All the power windlass I have seen (vertical & horizontal) are made to feed/guide the chain to a below deck locker. It seems as a windlass would need a guide to prevent chain skipping out of the gypsy (have that problem now with the manuel windlass).

Thanks for any help,
Gene
Alia, Channel Islands, CA

sailingdeacon

Member III
I suggest that you need to provide a below deck area for the chain/rope. There should be an adequate area on your boat.

On my 87 E34 I have a manual Highspeed 510 vertical windlass installed inside the anchor locker. The chain feeds horizontally into the locker (with the cover opened) over the windlass and and then downward through a hole into the forward v section of the boat. At least on my E34 there is a substantial area forward of the v-berth. A flat piece of stainless is attached just forward of the well to prevent wear. Also a small stainless guide is just aft of the standard anchor holder. I have no problem with this setup.

All this was installed by a previous owner. The unit is slightly offset from a fore/aft line to allow a straight pull on the chain. (The anchor roller is not aligned perfectly fore and aft.) The only issue is how much chain/rope will flake into the v-section. I have found that a maximum is 60' of 5/16"chain and 130' of 5/8" rope is good. Other combinations may work. The issue is that the chain will form a christmas tree and eventually come to the top of the chain area - and thus jam the hole - something you do not want in a blow. (I even have to flake the first 30-40of rope manually) If it is important I could photo the installation.

sailingdeacon

Member III
After several inquiries, I have uploaded a photo of the windlass in the anchor locker of the E34. Note the stainless chain guide aft of the anchor

Attachments

• anchorlocker.jpg
    anchorlocker.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 283

Gene Stoddard

Thank you for the pictures. That is an interesting place for the windlass, I'll definitely consider that type of installation.

Gene

Captainpeter

Member II
Windlass

Similar challenge presented itself on my E38. I mounted a vertical SL windlass just aft of the anchor locker. I modified the windlass so the chain/rope will come aft and then go around the gypsy/capstan and come off in the forward direction (towards the anchor locker). When raising the anchor I just hand the rode off the windlass and hand feed it into the anchor locker (of course with the locker door open) with the windlass doing all the heavy work-I just keep slight tension on the rode free end. The advantage of this is that you don't have to drop any rode into the interior of the boat. My boat is in Santa Barbara harbor so if you are interested in looking at the installation you can email me at captaintrw@msn.com. Peter