• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E25 and Saildrive

mskpsm

Has anyone ever installed a Saildrive in an E25? From a cursory inspection it looks difficult, if not impossible. I have an OMC Zephyr and I wonder if it will fit my boat. I'm hoping to hear the voice of experience. Thanks. Mark

Glyn Judson

Saildrive, the right choice?

Mark, Given your location, I have to assume that your boat is in salt water. OMC eventually ceased support of that design, in part due to the fact that they didn't stand up too well in salt water, they ended up becoming large anodes that simply corroded themselves into oblivion. Now, was that simply the result of the owners not staying on top of zinc replacement or would they have corroded anyhow? That's a question I can't answer. I can say that out here in SoCal where water temps are a lot warmer, these units eventually went bad. Maybe in your colder waters, you would have better luck but I'd be hesitant to install one given their track record. I hope others reading this who have owned one can chip in to support or debunk my thoughts. Cheers, Glyn Judson, The Dawn Treader an E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

mskpsm

E25 Saildrive

Hi Glyn,
Thanks for your reply. I'm grateful for your advice and I'll take it to heart. At the same time I'm wondering if the OMC Saildrive can be installed given the curvature of the hull. Do you know anyone who has put one in? I plan on maintaining it well if I do install it. Perhaps the cold water will treat it well. Thanks again,
Mark

Mark, Given your location, I have to assume that your boat is in salt water. OMC eventually ceased support of that design, in part due to the fact that they didn't stand up too well in salt water, they ended up becoming large anodes that simply corroded themselves into oblivion. Now, was that simply the result of the owners not staying on top of zinc replacement or would they have corroded anyhow? That's a question I can't answer. I can say that out here in SoCal where water temps are a lot warmer, these units eventually went bad. Maybe in your colder waters, you would have better luck but I'd be hesitant to install one given their track record. I hope others reading this who have owned one can chip in to support or debunk my thoughts. Cheers, Glyn Judson, The Dawn Treader an E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA