• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

4 rescued 300 miles off Verginia shore

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
They say the rudders were disabled along with the engine when hit by a large wave that drove the boat backward. Also they pumped water our for 50 hours taking turns at the manual pump. I think I would have been stopping the leak while not taking a turn at the pump, engine disabled? it is a sail boat, have they never head of an improvised rudder from a drop leaf of a dining table. I know I am a little crazy but I would have tried to save the boat as well as my on A$$. There may have been more to the issue than is listed at this time. Cats have positive buoyancy and should be a less risk to save than a ballast boat. Am I the only one who thinks save the boat on this one. Hell if in the area I would board her and try to salvage her.

http://m.seacoastonline.com/apps/pb...0140115/NEWS/140119835/-1/WAP&template=wapart

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hard to tell the particulars from being filtered through the news media. But... most of the times I've heard of a crew being "rescued" from a sailboat... the boat washes up on shore by itself after a few days. Dunno. With the nice broad beam of a catamaran, I'd think the drogue method of steering ought to work pretty well.

I recently got suckered into watching an episode of "Alaska Coast Guard" on The Weather Channel because the tease showed they were going to helicopter a guy from a sailboat, and I wanted to see how they did it. As far as I can tell, the reason that they rescued him was that he got tired and scared and just stopped sailing the boat (or didn't know how.)

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
There are boat owners and there are sailors for sure.

Before someone slams me I know I misspelled Virginia, but I can sail a boat and do reasonable repairs under way.

Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Yes, and I can always pass flawless judgement on them when ensconced in my La-Z-Boy throne, reclined next to the fireplace, with a nourishing drink at hand.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
There are boat owners and there are sailors for sure.

Before someone slams me I know I misspelled Virginia, but I can sail a boat and do reasonable repairs under way.

Here, here...

I'm supposed to do a delivery to the Keys next month on a 38' Leopard Cat. Hope the rudders hold together....!

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Call me if you decide to abandon ship due to no rudders, no motor and low on beer, I will take over. Unless you are real low on beer and out of tequila.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
There's actually a very well-known sailing writer named Charlie Doane. I think he's recently done the boat reviews in Sail magazine. Suppose it's the same guy?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Rick

I think I am bringing the Ericson 29 instead of the Mirage 236 this year I raced it last year and got another first in class but the Ericson is a castle compared to living on the Mirage that is a bare race boat, if I do bring the E29 I will leave it at Buccaneer on Mobile bay or Lafitte Marina on Pensacola Beach and make a trip or two down and bring it back home after the BEER cruise that will be the weekend of June 13-16. Hope we can tag up this year even if I wimp out and bring the Mirage.

Maine Sail

Member III
There's actually a very well-known sailing writer named Charlie Doane. I think he's recently done the boat reviews in Sail magazine. Suppose it's the same guy?

Yes same guy, Executive Editor of Sail, and he's a damn good sailor with lots of off shore miles under his belt. Charlie lives in Portsmouth, NH but sails his boat summers here in Maine and sometimes stores it off season in Portland. He has a beautiful aluminum Tanton 39 called Lunacy. He's a super nice guy and really laid back.... I don't doubt he tried everything they could....