• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Spar manufacturer for 1974 E27

Kittery Yard

Thank you Mark

Thank you for the help Mark, I have a call into Rig Rite/Kenyon Spars and will go from there. I will keep you posted!!

dt222

Member III
From a PDF of the owners manual that looks to be dated 12/77:

Mast & Boom (23, 25, 27 only)
Sparcraft
Pox 925
Coasta Mesa, CA 92627
714/645-7177

DOn

Guy Stevens

Sparcraft is long long gone

Todays Sparcraft has nothing other than a name to do with the original sparcraft.

Facnor own them part of the Losange Group out of France.

Guy
:)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I know of at least one Olson owner very pleased with this spar builder for a replacement mast. I believe that there are some Ericson owners who have posted here about using this company as well.
http://www.ballengerspars.com/

Loren

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Ahh yes Buzz Ballenger. He has helped out many a single handed Trans PAC racer who turned up in Hawaii with broken booms and in some cases masts.

I'll probably go with him. He's very close by. I just was surprised that I might be able to order the exact mast that came on my boat 43 years ago from the same company!

Thanks again
Phil

Last edited:

Seth

Sustaining Partner
weLl-not quite

Ahh yes Buzz Ballenger. He has helped out many a single handed Trans PAC racer who turned up in Hawaii with broken booms and in some cases masts.

I'll probably go with him. He's very close by. I just was surprised that I might be able to order the exact mast that came on my boat 43 years ago from the same company!

Thanks again
Phil

What you would likely get from Buzz is something better. He will look at the specs for the original spar section, and use something which meets or exceeds those characteristics. You will end up wth something which is probabaly smaller in cross section, lighter, and stronger than the original.. He MIGHT be able to track down the original section, but there is zero benefit for you. Your boat will sail better and be worth more with a newer section.....cheers

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
+1 for Ballenger. He made me a some new spreaders and repair plates for my original E27 mast and they fit perfectly. He is very familiar with the E27 spars. Easy to get in contact with too.

Dpig

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Thank you for the help Mark, I have a call into Rig Rite/Kenyon Spars and will go from there. I will keep you posted!!

Sorry if I was incorrect about the manufacturer; my boat is 1985 and it has a Kenyon mast and boom.

BTW, do not order anything from Rig Right if you can avoid it. You will pay 3x the cost and have to put up with people who don't seem to really care about your business. I have talked to Ballenger a couple of times about replacing my boom. As soon as I feel comfortable spending the money (it's only around $1,500 IIRC) that is who I will most likely purchase from.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
[/COLOR]

Sorry if I was incorrect about the manufacturer; my boat is 1985 and it has a Kenyon mast and boom.

BTW, do not order anything from Rig Right if you can avoid it. You will pay 3x the cost and have to put up with people who don't seem to really care about your business. I have talked to Ballenger a couple of times about replacing my boom. As soon as I feel comfortable spending the money (it's only around $1,500 IIRC) that is who I will most likely purchase from.

As part of the re-rig I just did, I replaced all 6 of the U-bolt attachment points on my E26-2. Rig Rite wanted $215 per U-bolt! I had Garhauer custom make me all 6 for less than the cost of one from Rig Rite. They came out beautiful, by the way.