• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E39 Mast Step

gadangit

Member III
Does anyone know how the mast step is attached to the keel on the E39? Other than the puddle of resin and scant pieces of fiberglass layed over the base... I'm not sure how much lateral load is generated at the base of a mast?

It's held up for 41 years and at least one dismasting, so it is working just fine. Just curious.

Thanks-
Chris
IMAG0265.jpgIMAG0264.jpg

stxchris

mast step nearly gone

I find myself needing to replace the mast step on my 1978 e39. Did you remove or replace yours? Am always trying to reduce my surprises. what did you find?
Thanks
Chris

Guy Stevens

Glassed in with 4 screws into the lead

It is an I beam glassed into the hull on the bottom of the eye beam. You can make a new box section out of G-10 expoxy and glass, or you can replace it with an aluminum I beam of the same size.

Let me know if you have more specific questions.

Thanks,
Guy Stevens

jim239

Member I
Picture of e 39 mast step

Here is what is under the mast! I should have poked around a bit more but the steel is very crumbly on the edges at least.file:///Users/jameswatson/Pictures/iPhoto%20Library/Previews/2015/03/19/20150319-093220/5Qq+PLYETku5p6HL0zcA2w/IMG_0324.jpg

Last edited:

EricTheHalfABee

E39B Mast Step

I am looking to buy a '77 Ericson 39B. The survey revealed it may need a new mast step. I see some folks have talked about this on the forum. Does anyone have experience to share and possibly photos?
thanks
matthias Zinn

gadangit

Member III
I am looking to buy a '77 Ericson 39B. The survey revealed it may need a new mast step. I see some folks have talked about this on the forum. Does anyone have experience to share and possibly photos?
thanks
matthias Zinn
I've not replaced this mast step, but it seems like it would be straightforward enough. Do you have pictures of the compromised one? The top of this thread are about the best pictures you will find of the step as the sole is totally removed.

stxchris

I did indeed wind up replacing my mast step. The original (I think) step was held in place by four 3/8" bolts lagged into the lead keel. These had nearly corroded away with the step itself.
I elected to use a steel and G-10 affair that raised the overall height so that I could remove an 1-1/2" from the mast to further address corrosion. I am comfortable with the bolts and a glassing-in of the base portion to address the lateral loads (shear) imposed.

gadangit

Member III
I did indeed wind up replacing my mast step. The original (I think) step was held in place by four 3/8" bolts lagged into the lead keel. These had nearly corroded away with the step itself.
I elected to use a steel and G-10 affair that raised the overall height so that I could remove an 1-1/2" from the mast to further address corrosion. I am comfortable with the bolts and a glassing-in of the base portion to address the lateral loads (shear) imposed.

I was worried it would only be lagged into the lead. Did you take any pictures of your new step? How did you access it?

stxchris

Found the pics but am not up to the challenge of attaching to this thread. Thought I was reasonably equipped. HELP

gadangit

Member III
Start with the paperclip and fumble your way from there. I can't help you if the picture posts sideways, that feature/bug seems to have a mind of it's own no matter what you do.Attaching.png

gadangit

Member III
Pretty good looking install. Did you set the I-beam into thickened epoxy or is there a fiberglass layup that I can't see. I see the bolts lagged into the lead.

You must have cut out your sole as well to gain that kind of access, I'd argue that is the biggest part of this job. What do you think?

stxchris

Thickened epoxy, for sure. Progress pics. Tri-axial fabric layed up against edges of base plate to seal off the bottom and provide additional shear.
Replacing the sole is a greater challenge than removing it.
As I do this, I realize how crucial "quality control" is at a factory. And really, it always boils down to pride in workmanship from those doing the work.

gadangit

Member III
It took us 5.5 years to finally have a nice cabin sole. Literally just a couple weeks ago it was finished. We just stare down from the companionway not daring to walk on it. Rotate your screen as needed.

20190313_152820.jpg

Last edited:

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Beautiful !!

Looks like most (all) panels can be lifted to access bilge?
(I'd love to be able to lift all of my floor panels, and also have them positive-locked down with sturdy pulls)

What wood panelling did you use, and where did you source it

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Rotated, and beautiful sole indeed!

Image copied to the desktop, and then rotated in Preview.
Desktop computer apps seem to be able to work with the site software package, but smartphone's not so much.
I suspect it has to do with file imaging tagging, but really have no clew/clue.

Attachments

• New Ericson Sole.jpg
    New Ericson Sole.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 90

gadangit

Member III
Beautiful !!
I know! I wish I could take credit for it, but we had this installed.

Looks like most (all) panels can be lifted to access bilge?
(I'd love to be able to lift all of my floor panels, and also have them positive-locked down with sturdy pulls)
Yes our bilge is completely available. As of right now there is nothing positively locking them down, just simple finger pulls and gravity. I'll probably get around to those expensive bits one day, but with our plans as of now we do not anticipate being in a sea state where being rolled is likely.

What wood panelling did you use, and where did you source it
This is 1/4" T&H laminated to our 3/4" "construction" floorboards with edging to clean up the look. I'm certain this was sourced from an old school hardwood supplier up in Houston. But I'm not sure which one.

You can get a sense of what it looked like prior in this picture. That plywood is now the subfloor to the T&H. Panels are a lot heavier now!
G10 Beam.jpg

gadangit

Member III
Image copied to the desktop, and then rotated in Preview.
Desktop computer apps seem to be able to work with the site software package, but smartphone's not so much.
I suspect it has to do with file imaging tagging, but really have no clew/clue.

I swear I've tried everything, all from my desktop. I've resized, edited in Paint, 3D Paint, MS Photo, pre-rotated anticipating a site rotation and I can't get some photos to stay vertical. They are natively vertical and show that way on my computer. I've just kinda given up. I hate that you guys run around rotating all of our pictures, but I'm at a loss. :esad: