• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

M25 Glow Plug removal ?

Sam Vickery

Member III
I have been having trouble starting my M25 universal. Over a minute of pushing the glow plug button and 10 to 15 seconds of cranking.............nothing. Wait ten to fifteen minutes try again. It has started in the past after this procedure, but it seems to be taking longer and longer. After I have run the engine up to normal temp (165 degrees) I shut the engine down. Sail for two or three hours and when entering the harbor I restart the engine. It starts right up. ?????? Heated cylinders after engine running at normal temp? So............I tried pushing the glow plug for 90 seconds and without attempting to start the engine, I went below and checked the plugs with my fingers. One was very, very hot and two were cold as stone. Next I checked each with my volt meter to see if I was getting enough juice to each plug. All checked out. So.........Bad glow plugs? I found NGK glow plugs at sparkplugs.com for a great price. They are located in Murrieta, Ca. and I spoke to Melissa who was very helpful. So I now have the new glow plugs. Down to the boat today to remove the old plugs and install the new ones. After much effort, wd40, tapping, heat gun application, praying and swearing, the plugs would not move any at all. Is there a trick to removing the glow plugs? I am not mechanically gifted and I am fearful of breaking something that is very expensive to fix or replace. (trust me I have experience in doing this) So after this long background.................Is there a trick or method of removing a set of resistant glow plugs from a Universal M25?

Tied to the dock.

Sam
1986-32-3
North Star

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
"Slow" glow plugs is the reason I am adding a solenoid to the glow plugs wiring.

I don;t know if it will help, but the reasoning and the simple re-wire is explained by Maine Sail here

Scroll down to "What About the Glow Plugs?"

Last edited:

Sam Vickery

Member III
Thanks Loren and Christian. If this is not successful, it may be time to call in the professional mechanic.

I will let you know how it turns out.

Sam
1986 32-3
North Star

Maine Sail

Member III
I have been having trouble starting my M25 universal. Over a minute of pushing the glow plug button and 10 to 15 seconds of cranking.............nothing. Wait ten to fifteen minutes try again. It has started in the past after this procedure, but it seems to be taking longer and longer. After I have run the engine up to normal temp (165 degrees) I shut the engine down. Sail for two or three hours and when entering the harbor I restart the engine. It starts right up. ?????? Heated cylinders after engine running at normal temp? So............I tried pushing the glow plug for 90 seconds and without attempting to start the engine, I went below and checked the plugs with my fingers. One was very, very hot and two were cold as stone. Next I checked each with my volt meter to see if I was getting enough juice to each plug. All checked out. So.........Bad glow plugs? I found NGK glow plugs at sparkplugs.com for a great price. They are located in Murrieta, Ca. and I spoke to Melissa who was very helpful. So I now have the new glow plugs. Down to the boat today to remove the old plugs and install the new ones. After much effort, wd40, tapping, heat gun application, praying and swearing, the plugs would not move any at all. Is there a trick to removing the glow plugs? I am not mechanically gifted and I am fearful of breaking something that is very expensive to fix or replace. (trust me I have experience in doing this) So after this long background.................Is there a trick or method of removing a set of resistant glow plugs from a Universal M25?

Tied to the dock.

Sam
1986-32-3
North Star

Sam,

#1 Lose the WD-40 it is not worth the plastic straw it comes with. Use PB Blaster or Kroil..

#2 Use a 12MM deep drive 6 point socket after a good soak with PB and they should come right out.

#3 These glow plugs are 7-15 seconds max with good voltage. Press longer and you can literally blow them. This happens often. Once one blows you press even longer and take out the rest. You are most likely pressing and nothing is happening because they are cooked.

#4 Buy an extra and hook it up on you bench at home to a battery and watch how fast they heat. With good wiring you should not require any longer than 7-15 seconds. With my battery bank I had to reduce that to 3 seconds because I still cooked them all at 15 seconds...........

Sam Vickery

Member III
Maine Sail,

Thanks for the tip on PB Blaster. I will try that when I get down to the boat. Hopefully, Tuesday or Wednesday evening. It would be nice to be out sailing again.

Sam
1986 32-3
North Star

Sam Vickery

Member III
Glow Plugs (removal)

Just to put closure to this issue. After soaking the glow plugs with pb blaster (for several days), I removed them (I think they may have been original 1986) and replaced same with new. In 60 degree weather and 10 seconds of pressing the glow plug button, the engine started right up.

Thanks all for the insight and help. It's great to be sailing again.

Sam
North Star
1986 32-3

Guy Stevens

I know that you got them out, but another trick for anyone else later

After soaking the in Kroil, PB Blaster for a while try tightening them some first, just a tiny amount, this will often make a huge difference in getting them out.

Guy
:)

Grizz

Grizz
$5 glow plug?

I've been following this thread because addressing the glow plugs for the M-25XP is on 'The List'. I've cut, pasted and saved the document to the 'Universal Engine' file. Perhaps by May it'll be warm enough to begin crawling 'round the engine compartment!

That said, I searched Torrenson and other diesel parts suppliers and I believe I saw a per plug cost of $70+, much different than the $5 Christian submitted. I haven't searched for the 6325 Y-103K unit pictured, but I will. Quite a difference, perhaps I've misread the Torrenson quote.

Just another mystery to pursue. Thanks for sharing, it'll help once we thaw!

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Glow Plugs

WOW!

Thanks Christian. I think I will get 6 so that I have backups when I am way North. Mine are probably only 2 years old but I know they were overheated when my Activating switch stuck on. Having three extras on hand is comforting knowing how fun diesel starting is without glow plugs (better have lots of batteries on hand!). I have also thrown (well gave) away my WD-40 (loved the straw) and gotten a can of PB Blaster so that I can remove the Dang things. I will try the new plugs prior to switching to the relay circuit so I can do a proper comparison. Do you know the difference between the K series plug and the V series plug? They both look like they would work.

Bob Morrison
Terra Nova
E-34-2 Hull#15

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Kubota Daaler

That said, I searched Torrenson and other diesel parts suppliers and I believe I saw a per plug cost of $70+, much different than the $5 Christian submitted. I haven't searched for the 6325 Y-103K unit pictured, but I will. Quite a difference, perhaps I've misread the Torrenson quote.

Just another mystery to pursue. Thanks for sharing, it'll help once we thaw!

Ours cost $8 from the local Kubota dealer. They were $80(?) from the local Universal dealer.

The trick is you have to know which tractor your engine was used in.

Grizz

Grizz
Advance has 'em too

I believe they'll fit in my 'tractor' too! Appears as though there's no plug difference to fit the M25 and M25XP, so Christian's bird-dogging will help there.

Surfed the Advance Auto site, they have these at $6.09 per, only available by direct ship. Another 'conversion' to tuck into the 'Universal' file!

Now...as to that 'proper torque' question...
icon5.gif

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Glow Plug Collateral Damage

So I got through the glow plug exercise with much contemplation as I moved the center plug 1/16” with every tiny turn of the tiny spanner. Only dropped it in the bilge once. But while I was at it, I managed to crush one of the little hoses which was probably only held together by the engine paint that appears to run between the injectors. I’m guessing if one of he little jumpers went, I should probably replace them all, but I’m wondering if I can do that without spewing diesel all over the place and even more importantly, what is the hose material I need to acquire to get it done. Photo attached in hopes of clarity: 0E8E1F41-A016-4865-8952-C8866F10DE0B.jpg

Last edited:

Filkee

Sustaining Member
Kubota v. Beer

Don’t worry, Tom. The beer is cold. I just may not ever get off the dock. Could be worse.

Filkee

Sustaining Member
It’s a Kubota

I always feel so bourgeois going to the tractor dealer for yacht parts and they’re always very nice about it.