• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 26-2 U-bolt replacement through Garhauer

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I'm currently in the process of re-rigging my E26-2. I'm getting the mast and boom LP'd; replacing all the wires, turnbuckles, and connections; running new wires in the mast, etc. (The mast is currently down, has been bead blasted, and is being primed today.) As part of this I had the 6 U-bolts pulled along with the chain plate (on the starboard side) and the tie rod (on the port side).

The tie rod and chain plate look perfect but a few of the U-bolts look dicey, with some pitting and in one instance a small but visible crack. So I'm replacing all 6 of them.

As has been mentioned in some past threads, the original Navtec U-bolts are only available from Rig Rite. (See here: http://www.rigrite.com/Hardware/Cha...ainplates_Ubolt.htm#Navtec_U-Bolt_Chainplates) We checked on their cost and for the 3/8" U-bolts, which is what my E26-2 requires, they quoted me $215 per U-bolt! Obviously there's no way I'm going to pay that.

I gave Garhauer a call and they said they could make some for me custom. I just now returned from there (they are about 45 minutes from where I live) after meeting with Doug and dropping off one of the U-bolts. We first checked to see if the U-bolts used in the Catalina 27 shroud retrofit kit that they sell would fit my application. While the diameter is correct, the center to center spacing on the legs is just slightly wider. Plus, The C27 U-bolts use coarser threads and so are slightly less strong than the ones I'm replacing. But they are only $12/each!

I decided to have Doug make up the 6 I need as a custom job. The cost is $30/U-bolt and these will be an exact fit spacing-wise and with a fine thread. When I mentioned that there may be other Ericson owners interested in this, he said that he was going to knock out several extras while he had everything set up to do so. Therefore, if any of you might be in need of these, or think you might be in the future, give Garhauer a call and ask for Doug. He said he'd be happy to sell them to members of the list. In fact, he hinted at possibly being able to drop the price if he was able to sell enough of them.

Thought you all would want to know.

Cheers,
Alan

P.S. When the rigger removed the nuts holding in the U-bolts, he observed that they were just plain nuts--not nylock nuts and no lock washer. Potentially not good. If you have the same rigging setup you might want to take a look at that. Also, for the aft lowers there was no backing plate on the starboard side--though there was one on the port side. Garhauer is also providing me with two stainless backing plates--one to replace the aluminum one on the port side (that has a bit of corrosion on it) and one for the starboard side. The aft lowers on this rig don't do a whole lot. They do keep the center of the mast from bending too far forward if one were to really crank the heck out of the vang, backstay, etc. But most of the time they are relatively loose and the boat *could* probably get by without them--not that I have any intention of eliminating them. But the point is, I'm sure the reason the boat's ok after 30 years without that backing plate is because of the minimal load on those.

Last edited:

sailorman37

Member II
Alan,

I went through the same issue on my 30+ a while back and wasn't willing to pay Rig Rite $289/each for 316 S.S. bolts. I decided on bolts from Allied Titanium for about $48/each. Unfortunately, since the quantity was so low, they were not willing to make a jig so they hand bent each U bolt resulting in only 4 out the 6 being in "spec".

Ti will never have a pitting problem, but it was a pain getting them made so 316 S.S. is probably a better option. Here are a few pics of the old and new ones. Notice how the new ones use an upside down Nylock instead of the formed contour of the old.

Be sure to also look carefully at the chain plate steel to make sure there isn't crevice corrosion going on there.

You can search for the old thread "Ericson 30+ chainplate U bolt" if you want to read all the gory details.

DSC02348.jpgDSC02347.jpgDSC02410.JPGView attachment 13202DSC02337.JPGDSC02409.JPG

Rob Salinas

Member II
I bet if you told Rigrite they were for your '46 Farmall model H tractor they'd be 12 bucks :)
Garhauer Rocks! If they don't have the part you need, they'll make it. Excellent quality, great pricing compared to the other well known marine product guys. And how lucky are we( in the LA area) to be able to drive over and have a face to face to get exactly what you need! I'm putting together a list of my own,and looking foward driving out there.
Alan would love to stop by say hi and check out your project!

Rob

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Alan,

I went through the same issue on my 30+ a while back and wasn't willing to pay Rig Rite $289/each for 316 S.S. bolts. I decided on bolts from Allied Titanium for about $48/each. Unfortunately, since the quantity was so low, they were not willing to make a jig so they hand bent each U bolt resulting in only 4 out the 6 being in "spec".

Ti will never have a pitting problem, but it was a pain getting them made so 316 S.S. is probably a better option. Here are a few pics of the old and new ones. Notice how the new ones use an upside down Nylock instead of the formed contour of the old.

Be sure to also look carefully at the chain plate steel to make sure there isn't crevice corrosion going on there.

You can search for the old thread "Ericson 30+ chainplate U bolt" if you want to read all the gory details.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had already read through your description of this and have indeed noted "all the gory details."

The Garhauer U-bolt will not have upside down nuts but instead will have a plate that spans the two legs of the U-bolt, as you can see here: http://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/product/12_45/chainplate-u-bolt-retrofit-kit-c-27.cfm

I looked very carefully at the chain plate and it appears to be in perfect shape--at least with the naked eye. It looks more or less brand new. Ditto for the tie rod.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I bet if you told Rigrite they were for your '46 Farmall model H tractor they'd be 12 bucks :)
Garhauer Rocks! If they don't have the part you need, they'll make it. Excellent quality, great pricing compared to the other well known marine product guys. And how lucky are we( in the LA area) to be able to drive over and have a face to face to get exactly what you need! I'm putting together a list of my own,and looking foward driving out there.
Alan would love to stop by say hi and check out your project!

Rob

Hello, Rob. Agreed on all counts about Garhauer!

I'm having the work done by Jib Kelly at Kelly Marine--literally around the corner for where my boat is slipped. Assuming the U-bolts don't hold things up, the job should be done before Christmas. Right now there's not much to see: just a mastless E26 in my slip at Holiday Harbor in San Pedro (Berth 34). But sure, it would be fun to meet you some time. Hopefully by then I can give you a "tour" of a nicely LP'd mast with all new rigging. I can also show you the dandy Garhauer traveler I put on the boat at the end of summer.