• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

1998 Sydney Hobart Yacht Race film

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Sydney-Hobart

Jeff,

Thanks. I have an old VHS copy I made after the documentary was played on PBS. The quality here is much better. I think we will play this at the Club as a reminder that the weather can change incredibly quickly. Our weather types out here in the North West are not noted for their accuracy!

Bob Morrison

Terra Nova E-34

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Jeff,

Thanks. I have an old VHS copy I made after the documentary was played on PBS. The quality here is much better. I think we will play this at the Club as a reminder that the weather can change incredibly quickly. Our weather types out here in the North West are not noted for their accuracy!

Bob Morrison

Terra Nova E-34

Hi Bob, I was not aware that that aired on PBS, I read two books about The 1998 Sydney Hobart, "The Proving Ground" and "Fatal Storm", the Proving Ground being the better of the two reads. That documentary seemed very close to the way things went down in The Proving Ground. I know what you mean about the North West weather because I used to live up there.

Beam Winds.

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Sidney Hobart

Hi Bob, I was not aware that that aired on PBS, I read two books about The 1998 Sydney Hobart, "The Proving Ground" and "Fatal Storm", the Proving Ground being the better of the two reads. That documentary seemed very close to the way things went down in The Proving Ground. I know what you mean about the North West weather because I used to live up there.

Beam Winds.
I believe it aired in 1999. The memories of that time are becoming a little fuzzy (advanced old age). I was unaware of The proving Ground. I'll be in Portland next week and I'll see if I can pick it up at Powell Books. I used to sail SF Bay all the time in a much modified San Juan 26 . The Ericson is new to me this year. The wife has been hammering for a "real cabin" for about four years. I finally said I could tolerate "this one" showing her a E-34 for sale in Victoria. She enthausticaly said "lets go look" and now we have an E-34 and a San Juan. The E-34 is an incredible sailing machine. Good thing as the engine has had some problems keeping running. The problems are a good wintertime project. Thanks for the u-tube lead

Bob

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Those Aussies are crazy! I heard they don't even consider calling a race due to high winds.

Thank you you for posting this.