• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

All is Lost....the movie

u079721

Contributing Partner
Review in Sail Magazine

I just got the February copy of Sail Magazine, which includes a review of All is Lost:

"The most anticipated sailing film of the last year, of course, was a major feature All is Lost, staring Robert Redford as an unnamed solo sailor who loses his Cal 39 in the Indian Ocean. Unfortunately, the film's creators made no effort to make it at all realistic, and any sailor watching it is apt to feel insulted and annoyed......Redford's performance was hailed as Oscar-worthy, but all I saw was a man who looked confused and aggravated for an hour and a half. I had the exact same expression on my face the entire time I was watching him."

A brilliant - and spot on - review.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Maybe have a mandatory viewing at the dock before taking guests out for an afternoon sail?

Do you think they would still go?

This movie exists solely as a nomination vehicle for the actor.

Then why didn't the distributor do more marketing for the film? And why is Redford complaining about the marketing when he never did much to help promote it himself?

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Marketing and distribution can cost as much as the movie. For movies like this one, distributors want to see it before writing checks. They saw it, nobody wanted to write checks. Hence the old phrase "straight to video".

You pitch this movie as man against the elements, you cite the artistic success of Redford's "Jeremiah Johnson" and maybe Tom Hanks in "Cast Away", you show around a script which is a showcase for one veteran/mature/old famous actor, and so completely committed to him that there's no woman or other character or even a talking fish. Everybody scratches their head--but at least the budget is low. Well, who've you got lined up to play the guy? Robert Redford. It'll be an academy award performance.

All such projects are approved on hope. But movies are the death of hope, because success is not about hope but about execution, and execution is some combination of luck, talent and the alignment of mysterious spheres. Even great execution and story and a successful novel a the basis doesn't guarantee success. The classic illustration is The Great Santini, which became a critical darling but couldn't get a distributor and wound up making its debut on airplane screens.

The specific yachting "howlers" in "All is Lost" don't matter much to most viewers, but they do undermine interest by introducing confusion.

The bizarre story elements introduce further confusion by questioninig anybody's logical assumptions about sea stories. You can be wrecked in a flat calm? When climbing on deck in a storm you don;t close the sliding hatch after you? YOu can repair the hole in your hull with the complete West System Catalog on board, but are otherwise helpless to stop leaks? You can be easily rolled 360 degrees in a typical gale? YOur energies, when thousand miles from nowhere, should be directed to calling for help instead of pumping?

It's easy to question Redford's performance, which seems to be intentionally , let's say, stoical. That was probably his choice, and it probably seemed brave. But think of anyone else in the role, from Brad Pitt to Tommy Lee Jones, and ask what they could have done? Not much more, because there's just not much there. Not even a volley ball to talk to. Not even an ongoing voice-over of log book entries to expand on the visuals (except for a pathetic introduction narrative which is just a lugubrious mistake).

So, and all you are getting from me here is industry analysis and carping and "we're smarter than that", it all comes down, distribution-wire, to whether anybody thinks anybody will go see this turkey, and nobody thought anybody would, and so the prophecy becomes self-fulfilling.

We have a right to be offended by such a stupid movie, though, since it's about a world we care about, and they didn;t just get it wrong, they took all the drama out--and we know there is ample drama in the events chosen to be depicted, and they didn't bother to understand why or have the skill to show us how.

PDX

Member III
Are you talking about the Robert Duvall "Great Santini," late 70s/early 80s? It must have found its way out of the airplane circuit eventually. I know I saw it in a first run theater.

I enjoyed your insider's take on the movie distribution process. Those of us who grew up loving movies, and now love them quite a bit less if at all, find the whole thing somewhat baffling.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Yes, great movie. It was "rediscovered" by film critics. Here's a paste of the Wikipedia entry from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Santini

[h=2]Release[edit][/h]Warner Bros. executives were concerned that the film's plot and lack of bankable actors would make it hard to market. It made its world premiere in Beaufort in August 1979 and was soon released in North Carolina and South Carolina to empty houses. Believing that the film's title - giving the perception that it was about circus stunts - would be the problem, it was tested as Sons and Heroes in Fort Wayne, Indiana, as Reaching Out inRockford, Illinois, and The Ace in Peoria, Illinois. As it tested better in Peoria, The Ace stuck, though even with its new title it was still performing poorly.Orion Pictures eventually pulled the film and sold cable rights to HBO along with the airline rights to recoup its losses.[SUP][1][/SUP]
Producer Charles A. Pratt still had faith in the film and raised enough money, some coming from Orion, to release The Great Santini in New York under its original title. It ended up getting great reviews and business was steady, but two weeks later debuted on HBO, and audiences stopped coming. Orion executive Mike Medavoy blamed the film's box office failure to a lack of a traditional release: screening it first in New York and expanding markets due to word-of-mouth.[SUP][1][/SUP]
[h=2]Critical reception[edit][/h]The film was well received. Roger Ebert wrote that "Like almost all my favorite films, The Great Santini is about people more than it's about a story. It's a study of several characters, most unforgettably the Great Santini himself, played by Robert Duvall...There are moments so unpredictable and yet so natural they feel just like the spontaneity of life itself."[SUP][2][/SUP]
[h=2]Awards[edit][/h]The Great Santini received two Academy Award nominations: Best Actor in a Leading Role (Duvall) and Best Actor in a Supporting Role (O'Keefe).

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Now on Direct TV Cinema

We are locked in with 1" of ice covering everything in the Florida Panhandle and noticed "All is Lost" is already available on Direct TV Cinema. I wont watch it again, I'm frustrated enough today...

Christian knows his industry for sure. :)

Lucky Dog

Member III
One inch? I think we are at 10. The second polar vortex has passed. We continued through minus 40 wind chill. Happy to report my students came into school any way to work on our FIRST robot. And I will buy the movie and watch it. The only water I'll see for another three months will be out of a faucet.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Lucky, I grew up in the Midwest (Indiana, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin) so I find it amusing how the local press are treating the ice and snow like a national emergency. Enjoy the movie.

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I finally saw it and I liked it despite the lack of logical explanations of some of Skipper Redford's actions or lack there of. Although I agree with the criticism's here and in Sail magazine, I still think it's worth seeing.

u079721

Contributing Partner
I finally saw it and I liked it despite the lack of logical explanations of some of Skipper Redford's actions or lack there of. Although I agree with the criticism's here and in Sail magazine, I still think it's worth seeing.

Oh I absolutely agree that it's worth seeing. I mean how many sailing movies are there? BUT, I would caution folks to have pretty low expectations.

I still can't believe that Hollywood is talking about Redford being "snubbed" by not getting an Oscar nomination for this turkey.

Blue Chip

Member III
I have a few friends that are very into movies and the making of them who know NOTHING about sailing, and they loved it..."The drama...the camera work etc etc" If you know sailing you see it a diferent way. The first group was on the edge of thei seat etc etc.

Have a bunch of sailors over, yellow legal pads, and give a prize to the one that finds the most errors. It's not a BAD movie, it just isn't a good SAILING movie. When the time comes to fire off a flare and you are standing there reading the directions...well, this ain't a good example.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
When the time comes to fire off a flare and you are standing there reading the directions...well, this ain't a good example.

Not to mention, if you see a squall / storm coming deciding to shave for the event was a interesting way to prepare. And leaving the hatch boards off. :confused:

u079721

Contributing Partner
......Have a bunch of sailors over, yellow legal pads, and give a prize to the one that finds the most errors......

I think we have a winner for a new game for movie night at the yacht club! Or maybe a variation where you have to chug a whole beer every time you catch a mistake?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
I think we have a winner for a new game for movie night at the yacht club! Or maybe a variation where you have to chug a whole beer every time you catch a mistake?

Or a straight shot of Rum from the bottle as Skipper Redford does.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Have a bunch of sailors over, yellow legal pads, and give a prize to the one that finds the most errors. It's not a BAD movie, it just isn't a good SAILING movie. When the time comes to fire off a flare and you are standing there reading the directions...well, this ain't a good example.

Great idea!