• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Catalina Cruise Video, October 2013

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
https://vimeo.com/77668954

This epic voyage across a crystalline seascape rivals ‘Kon-Tiki’ in its outright appeal to the escapist in all of us, while matching ‘Citizen Kane’ as a sweeping indictment of monomania, egocentricism and camera-on-a-stick cinematography. Not since David Lean’s ‘Lawrence of Arabia’ has the mortal lens captured such sweep, verve and napping. The performances by the child actor Tracy Olmstead and her dog, Christian, are remarkable in their subtlety, conveying at once a near invisibility and at the same time, mid-day hangovers from too many bloody marys at a boat party brunch the morning of departure.

--Malcolm Muggeridge, The Guardian

Last edited:

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Thanks for sharing this!

Hello, Christian!

Nice video! I enjoyed it. Plus, you have a really sweet looking boat. You obviously maintain it very well.

I do *lots* of trips over to the Island, so maybe we'll see each other there sometime. In fact, last week I was anchored in Cat Harbor from Oct. 15-20, so our trips overlapped. It was actually pretty crowded (on the front side of the Island) for this time of year, which I guess had something to do with some of the events going on at the Isthmus. Even Cat Harbor had more boats than usual lying at anchor, though it was much less crowded than the front side, as is typically the case.

Fourth of July is one of my favorite coves. It's especially sweet in the off season, when things die down and the place is nearly deserted. I've had many a trip there where I'm the only boat in all of Fourth! Also, the cheaper rates kick in on Nov. 1, where you pay for two nights (plus $2) and get the next five free. That can be really terrific if you get a good weather window.

Again, thanks for sharing this with us.

--Alan

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Nice

I like the calmness of your video Christian! The boat ain't bad either:nerd: She is a beauty for sure!

Dave N

Member III
Great vid, thanks for sharing. I am going to try one of the Rycote micro windjamers to try and tame the wind noise.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
With my battered GroPro, sound is a matter of using the solid back or the open back to the case. The rest of this is iPhone4 video. I convert everything to MPEG2 for editing on my old Avid Pinnacle software, and play with the sound there.

For better quality I use H40 cameras, with a shotgun mic and, yeah, foam or a shaggy for wind noise. However, I'm at heart still a digital tape-based video operating system, and tend to try to solve everything in editing.

Wind noise is a big constant with an iphone. I just turn it up or down when editing and call it "ambiance". But the HD these phones record is amazing, and the thing is always in your pocket....