• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Do I need a topping lift?

Matt H

Member II
With my mast down for the winter, I'll be tackling a number of projects (halyard/sheave replacement, re-wiring, etc.)

One addition I'm considering is the addition of a topping lift. Currently, when the main is down, the boom is supported with wire & clip attached to the back stay (see pic below).

Is a topping lift a wise addition? Are there any advantages to adding one?

I'm also curious on how to add the necessary hardware to the mast head. I've attached a pic of the head. Would the block attach somewhere around where the back stay attaches to the head?

Thanks,

Matt

On the Sling.jpgMast Head 3.jpg

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Unless you have a solid vang, when you lower the main the boom falls unsupported into the cockpit. That's a danger to crew and gelcoat and makes reefing problematic. A topping lift provides support at all times.

The TL supports the boom in harbor, but needs to be slack when sailing. It can be fixed if that puts the boom at a height you like, but the wire goes slack when the main is up. Most of our boats have a wire from the mast crane which ends with a purchase and a line alongside or inside the boom terminating in a cleat. It only needs to be adjustable for a few feet.

In your second picture, what is that sharing the bolt for the backstay on your crane? An old toping lift, perhaps?

Matt H

Member II
Thanks for your help. I'm not sure what is sharing the bolt for the back stay. It's basically a line that is attached at the mast head and has a small block attached at the bottom. Could this be a lift? I always thought they were setup like a halyard with a block at the mast head. This boat is fairly new to me so I'm still learning various details.

Matt

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Mine is fixed at the masthead and runs through a very small block at the end of the boom, then to a cleat on the boom. I also have the pigtail swaged onto the backstay. You would not believe how far I've sailed while forgetting to undo one or the other of those :rolleyes:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
A topping lift is a must.

A topping lift is a must on larger boats. Unless you have a ridged vang as stated by Christian. Mine looks a bit like the one in this pic. Very simple to rig with as little as two small blocks, a cheek block at the end of the boom and a cleat.

Attachments

• toplift.jpg
    toplift.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 2,855

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Hmm... it's possible that's what mine is supposed to look like. Currently it just runs through the one block on the boom and the boom is always twisted (rotated) sideways. It's only a 1/8" cord though. Really difficult to handle. Not that the loads are particularly great.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It's basically a line that is attached at the mast head and has a small block attached at the bottom. Could this be a lift?

That's it.

I take it there are no sheaves in the end of your boom (if you have them they're for internal outhaul and topping lift).

See if that small block might attach to the end of the boom where the backstay hanger currently does. And if maybe the topping lift went through it, and along the side of the boom. If so, there'd be a cleat on the boom at the mast end to adjust the height of the boom.

I've never seen a topping lift with a block at the top of the mast.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Here's a shot of my topping lift.

Here's a shot of my topping lift in action. :egrin: It's the "Green Line". Excuse the tangle of other lines, I just took down the sail in this shot. I also have the cable that is attached to my split aft stay already attached. So you can see that the end of my topping lift purchase dead ends at the back / top of the boom then runs up to a single block that is attached to the topping lift, then runs down to a cheek block at the back starboard side of the boom, then runs to a cleat about half way up the boom that is covered by the sail here. The red and white striped line is my reefing line. Yup that's me in the pic. Hi! :egrin:

Attachments

• Topping Lift.jpg
    Topping Lift.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 979

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Another one of those things of which the manual ought to have a drawing... but does not.

Matt H

Member II
It all makes sense now!! Based on description from Christian and picture from Jeff, that's what I have. I thought the cheek block at the end of my boom was related to my reefing setup. Now it's clear how the topping lift it setup. Thanks!

Matt

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Topping Lift Options

We also removed our topping lift and installed a Garhauer rigid vang. It's nice to eliminate the topping lift, which chafes the mainsail leech. This also freed up an extra boom end sheeve to use for a third reef line led internally through our boom. (It's not an original Ericson boom.)
Regarding a topping lift led through a block at the masthead, I have done this in the past, as well. I found it useful as an emergency backup main halyard while on an extended passage. If a boat has a fractional rather than a masthead rig, it may be the only way to use a bosun's chair to retrieve/re-rig the lost main halyard.
Mike Jacker

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Matt,

I got rid of the topping lift on my E27 and added a BoomKicker. It works well if you have a soft vang - you need the soft boomvang to flatten the main. At the slip I use the main halyard to securely hold the boom.

What model Ericson do you have?

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
My 30+ has a topping lift with block and tackle internal to the boom. A fixed length of wire (I think it is 7x7 wire) is attached at the masthead and has a Nicopress eye at the bottom near the boom. There is a block and tackle inside the boom with wire exiting the back of the boom terminating in another Nicopress eye. The two eyes are connected with a small stainless steel Quick Link.

Matey

Member III
Don't like Topping Lifts

As mentioned .. a rigid vang, or in your case a Boomkicker would work great. I've had both, as well as Topping lifts which I hate. The lift provided by a rigid vang or kicker aids greatly in your sail control and there is nothing to hang up on the back of the main. For dousing, they let the boom drop so you can flake your sail on the boom then pops back up and your main halyard attached to of the back creates a temp topping lift at the dock.

Regards, Greg

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Boomkicker

I have the boom kicker. Like it. When I ordered my new main a few years back, I told the sailmaker (Ullman sails, Ventura, CA) to add a little bit extra roach. I wouldn't have been able to do that with a topping lift to snag the roach.