• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Quadrant stops on 32-2

Steve Wall

Member II
Hey all,

I posted about this before the hacking incident and figured that I'd repost, with updated query.

I am having to reglass one of the steering sheeve plates that detached from the hull and I figure while I'm at it, I'll add quadrant stops for the wheel steering. They should have been installed years ago right! I guess the PO's figured that it was just too much of a PITA to do it. I almost believe that too!

Here's the issue though. The 32-2 manual shows tall vertical stops that are glassed in at the bottom and bolted up on top. I don't see how I can get in there to install something like that! Maybe I can... but it looks like pulling a bulkhead out of the way to get in there will also require it to be reglassed when completed. Argg. I suppose that it may just have to be done.

I did have a thought though. I thought that if I found some sort of arm that I could clamp onto the upper part of the shaft, I could mount it high enough, just beneath the cockpit deck, that I could mount some simple stops through the cockpit floor and be done with it. This seems like it would actually be a simple and efficient system. Much better than tall vertical stops that greatly decrease access to that already cramped space.

Anyone heard of something like this that I could use? It really could come from a non-marine application I guess. As long as it's aluminum probably. Thoughts?

According to the manual, the shaft is 3.5" wide. I would need to verify that with a tape measure as it seems a bit large.

I had some trouble uploading images so here is online album links.

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/elsmanwaterman/Ericson Fun/IMG_20131013_172050_298.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/elsmanwaterman/Ericson Fun/IMG_20131013_172111_526.jpg

http://i939.photobucket.com/albums/ad237/elsmanwaterman/Ericson Fun/IMG_20131013_170007_864.jpg

Thanks for your reply.

Steve

Last edited:

Matey

Member III
Quadrant

Steve,

I assume you are refering to stops to limit quadrant travel.
Mine just have stainless wire at proper length to stop rotation.
If I was to replace them, I would just use spectra in the same fashion.
I can dig up a picture if you need one.
I ground out all the steering supports, fabricated new ones and glassed
them in also, as the old ones were pretty shot. A lot of work but really glad
I did it. Think about it every time I'm in big breeze. Which is all summer anymore.

Regards, Greg

Steve Wall

Member II
Greg,
It looks like you did what I should do. For the life of me I don't know how you could do all that in such a tiny enclosed place though.
I don't see where you installed quadrant stops. Am I missing them in the pictures?
It looks like my steering pedestal has not been leaking as the plywood looks good from underneath. I probably should at some point remove, reseal and replace though.
I am interested in knowing more about how you built the jig. Even though my starboard sheeve plate has already come off, the groove in the fiberglass tabbing is still there and I could build a jig, I think, which would ensure it gets back to the same place/orientation.

As I understand the steering, the regular steering cables will limit steering travel if pushed to their extremes but this is bad for the system. There should be an actual block or post or something that the quadrant hits to stop travel before the cables and all the sheeves etc take up the force. If you are saying that you have cables attached that do this in addition to the regular steering cables I didn't see them in your pics.

Thanks for the help.

Matey

Member III
Steve,

It is a small space for sure. I had the advantage of the engine and fuel tank already removed, which was the original issue(s). The jig was just a simple wood frame that fit inside the existing plates with some marks to line up on bulkheads port & stbd.
I ground out the old plates and glassed in the new. The new ones were made with 1/4" steel and feet very similar to the original ones. Took some bangin' and bendin' to get them to sit on the hull curve just so before glassing
This picture shows the stops prior to my work

Regards, Greg

a (10).jpgs 005.jpg

Steve Wall

Member II
Greg,

That is the picture I needed to see the stop cables. It's all clear now.

Since I have not ground any glass away yet, I guess I didn't get to see that there was a foot welded to the plates on the sides. That definitely makes things more challenging. I can see that having the motor and tank out would make things much easier.

I'm pretty sure I don't want to pull my motor and tank at this point, even though for this repair it would be easier.

Nice pictures. Thanks.