• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

2013 Summer Rendezvous

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Let' s Git R Done

Unless someone takes the lead to move it to another port, I would sure support returning to the Pt Hudson Marina @ Port Townsend, WA.
Very Nice facility and handy for attendees from BC as well as those from all around Puget Sound.

Wherever we are going, we DO need to call 'em and firm up the arrangements. These places all get booked up fast with other yacht club and owner-group rendezvous.

Mid June? July?
:confused:

Pick a date -- Friday thru Sunday -- and decide quickly on a place.

I or someone else from out of the immediate area can make primary arrangements by phone or 'net, but it's nicest to have a member closer to the scene to be the coordinator if possible....
:nerd:

Having looked at the "sail past" they did at the wooden boat show there, I envision us doing something similar. Declare a time on Saturday am, a "course", and perhaps even an order of appearance at the first buoy to commence the parade. Reverse-speed potential "start" would be my suggestion.

Regards,

Loren

hodo

Member III
If we can get a consensus for dates and location, and approximate size of group, that would be a good first step. PT sounds good to me.

Harold, Mischief Maker

hodo

Member III

Sounds like Port Townsend Washington. All In Favor? Somewhere else?

Harold and Jessie, Mischief:devil:Maker

InSync

Member II
2013 Rendezvous

Port Townsend certainly works for us. At this point, we are quite flexible on dates. Is there any way our esteemed administrator can send out emails to those in the PNW and ask them to post their interest in a 2013 rendezvous?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
There's a Time and a Place for...... Vikings!

Port Townsend certainly works for us. At this point, we are quite flexible on dates. Is there any way our esteemed administrator can send out emails to those in the PNW and ask them to post their interest in a 2013 rendezvous?

Well, this 2013 thread has had over 100 views as of today. Most likely anyone that's registered here and cares about this regional forum has had a look already.
Sean is super busy, and I am unsure if the site has an easy way to extract the group of email addresses you are thinking of.

Like most of these sort of gatherings, I predict that all it takes, after some basic interest has been expressed so far, is for one person to seize the initiative and make the contacts.
Since it's pretty well decided by a loose consensus that it's Pt Townsend, for a host of logisical reasons, that may decide the "where."

Next, call the harbor master @ Pt Hudson Marina and ask what weekends are still open from mid-June to early July. If there's a choice, put it up here in a new thread and ask for a vote within, say 5 days. Then reserve the slips - about 20 - "ball park guess" - and tell people to get in their individual reservations and deposits. (And, yeah, they'll punt some of their deposit $ if they change their mind after a certain date, but that's life. Been there, punted that.)

Drop me a line if you want to discuss it back channel.
Click on my name for an option to email me directly.
Thanks.

Regards,
Loren

ps: once these basics are in place, time to talk about taking orders for T shirts... :)

Last edited:

e38sailorman

Member II
How about any time other then June 21,22 and 23 that is always the TYC Summer Vashon which is a really fun race. How about July 19, 20, 21 maybe we could get a few Puget Sound boats to meet up in PT for the rendezvous and then head up to Canada. The guys from Canada could join in also for a week or more in the Gulf Islands.......could be fun.

Marc and Marilyn
E 38 WaveWalker
Gig Harbor Wa

MartaCrichlow

Walt and Marty Crichlow
2013 Rendezvous

Please let us know when the 2013 Rendezvous is scheduled for. We missed 2012 because we were heading for Alaska. To make a long story short, we didn't make Alaska because of an injury. Would like to include this years rendezvous in our cruising plans. T Shirts!!! Yes, our old ones from sometime in the past are worn out.
They said something like, sliding in and screaming WaHoo, what a sail.

Walt and Marty Crichlow
sv Brigadoon, Ericson 35-II
Jarrell's Cove Marina, Harstine Island,
between Shelton and Olympia.:egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For several years this rendezvous was held on Fathers Day Weekend, and some owners said this was a conflict that they could not work around.
Early June, like the 7/8/9 weekend, or the 28/29/30 weekend works for us.
I would imagine that the weekend following July 4 is all booked up way in advance, anyhow.

This year we both will be retired and plan to (finally) bring our boat up the coast, so that going north during or after mid-June looks better weather-wise. Longer daylight hours are a great help, too.

Loren

ps: link for the marina:
http://www.portofpt.com/point_hudson.htm

Last edited:

InSync

Member II
2013 rendezvous dates

We can make any dates in June although the June 30th weekend may end up being a bit dodgy for us, so I can't make any promises for that date.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
How's this??

"This just in"
(An answer to my email inquiry to the Port)

June 28-30 looks good, at this time. You will need to call 360-385-2828 to reserve slips and the Marina Room, we are unable to process on line reservations.

Point Hudson Staff

So, check your personal summer callendar and tell me if this works for you!

Thanks,
Loren

PDX

Member III
"This just in"
(An answer to my email inquiry to the Port)

June 28-30 looks good, at this time. You will need to call 360-385-2828 to reserve slips and the Marina Room, we are unable to process on line reservations.

Point Hudson Staff

So, check your personal summer callendar and tell me if this works for you!

Thanks,
Loren

June 28-30 works for me, Loren. And I appreciate the non-Father's Day weekend. Thanks for your efforts.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Picking the Perfect (!) weekend

Sidebar: The date-selection conundrum.

Whether planning for this rendezvous, local YC function, or the occasional get-together at someone's house, there are always going to be days when some folks simply cannot attend. And, for perfectly good and logical reasons. And, these will be friends and acquaintances that we really want to see there. (sigh)

Over the years peoples' responses seems to break down into several classes of reasons -- some have a prearranged conflict that cannot be changed, some have no plans that far ahead and so are totally flexible, and for the remaining 80%....
it's just difficult to plan very far ahead due to unknown/unpredictable family or work priorities. :0

Sometimes, after eliminated the obvious conflicts, it's best to just declare a date. Then, some of the folks in that 80% can do their best to plan for it or around it. At least they know the date and put a stick-pin (digital or real) into their calendar planner.

That's probably what we need to do for this.

Personally, much of June is OK, and if that last full weekend works for most others (or, they can say with 50% certainty that it will) then we can just "make it so."

Your thoughts?

Thanks much,
Loren

D & DM Cahill

Member II
2013 rendezvous dates

Hi All. The dates of June 28-30 work great for us. That weekend is one of the few that we won't have a conflict with some other activity. Thanks for working this out. We are planning to be there at Port Hudson. Dave & Donna-Marie (E38-Amazing Grace)

TS Farley

Member II
Hi All,

Thanks for starting the thread InSync.

I missed last year's rendezvous because of cruise north and would love to make it to this year's; but would also like to do some extended cruising again! June is an awfully good time to head north. I don't know if anyone else is also planning any extended coastal cruising this summer, but if so, a date in the first half of June for the Ericson rendezvous would be better.

Vivian
s/v TS Farley

InSync

Member II
Dates for 2013 rendezvous

Sidebar: The date-selection conundrum.Whether planning for this rendezvous, local YC function, or the occasional get-together at someone's house, there are always going to be days when some folks simply cannot attend. And, for perfectly good and logical reasons. And, these will be friends and acquaintances that we really want to see there. (sigh)Over the years peoples' responses seems to break down into several classes of reasons -- some have a prearranged conflict that cannot be changed, some have no plans that far ahead and so are totally flexible, and for the remaining 80%....it's just difficult to plan very far ahead due to unknown/unpredictable family or work priorities. :0Sometimes, after eliminated the obvious conflicts, it's best to just declare a date. Then, some of the folks in that 80% can do their best to plan for it or around it. LAt least they know the date and put a stick-pin (digital or real) into their calendar planner.That's probably what we need to do for this.Personally, much of June is OK, and if that last full weekend works for most others (or, they can say with 50% certainty that it will) then we can just "make it so."Your thoughts?Thanks much,Loren
I agree with Loren that it is impossible to choose a date that works for everyone, as much as we would all like to attend. A suggestion - how about if our administrator posts a poll asking people to vote for one of say...two different weekends in June? Then we could go with "majority rules". If we did June 8/9 and June 29/30, it would avoid the Father's Day weekend and give a choice of an early June or late June weekend.