• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

sail questions

blueox

Hi,I bought a 1988 ericson 34 2.5 years ago and have been tearing her apart and putting her back together ever since.She was left sitting on the hard for eight years and when i looked at her she had a good foot of water above the sole.I am a genius obviously for buying this boat and also a contortionist now,this is the greatest website in the world,everything i have had to do has been done by someone here and i cant thank everyone enough for there help.Although i have yet to post anything I have learned much from you all and i thank you.I believe the boat could possibly float towards the fall of 2013 but i need sails.Has any one dealt with presicion sails they seem to be really inexpensive and it makes me sceptical any help once again would be appreciated thanks Mike

Vagabond39

Member III
WELCOME ABOARD. I have been resurrecting a 23 II for the past two years. Good site. Good shipmates. Good info.
P. S. Good luck
If you need help, call
Bob

Sven

Seglare
Welcome to the Forum Mike.

I know nothing about Precision sails. I do know that we were very very happy with the sails we bought from Lee Sails at a price that was very reasonable. Lee manufactures sails which might not be as romantic as one would imagine a sail loft should be but the computer aided design and manufacture and triple stitching sure gives you a feeling for solid quality. Finding affordable US made sails would be preferable but when that is not an option ...

Good luck with your "project" :egrin:

-Sven

EGregerson

Member III
sails

Hi Mike; congrats on the E34. I got mine in 2006; had the original sails on it. But i put all my time and money into everything but sails. Nav system; reefer sys; fresh water pump, etc etc. You've probably been replacing everything too. But 18 months ago finally got a new foresail; what a difference; I still have the old main but plan to replace it soon. (I don't have Larry Ellison's budget). But i suggest getting 'good' sails; check out boat shows for specials. Good luck with the project.

lindaloo

Member II
E34 sails

Agree with previous about getting "good" sails. Really adds to the enjoyment.

Lee are made in Hong Kong (?) I believe, but then so are North and UK apparently. Heard nothing but positive feedback re. Lee.

Get a good sail-cover and use it as soon as the sail is lowered. UV is very tough on dacron and stitching. You get years extra life.
You can make your own from kits. Buy a good used HD sewing machine. It will pay for itself with this one job.

My main has a first reef-point about 4 ft up and I reef early and often. Really helps weather helm and hardly affects speed at all. My E34 needs a webbing extension strap to secure the grommet to gooseneck hook. The slider track is pinned some distance up (10" maybe ?) and the sliders stack up when reefed. Hope that makes sense. Anyway, a sailmaker should take these things into consideration. My main came with partial batons and sailshape seems OK, except in light wind. The E34 can handle a big overlap genoa, mine is 140. It is pretty bagged and the foam luff is done so it doesn't furl worth a damn.

If you don't have them, lazy jacks are a must on an E34 as the boom is high and long. Lots of info on these in this forum. You are obviously a DIY type so these should be easy. Mine are attached just below the upper spreaders.

The sailmakers will get busy in a couple of months so speak to them sooner rather than later.

Sure hope you can get out and enjoy your boat this year. Good luck.

Rob