• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

New to sailing

Sarah

Hello,

I just moved to Oahu Hawaii. I have this romantic dream of living on a sail boat. I do not have any "real" sailing experience, but I was in the Navy for 4 1/2 years on a destroyer. I feel comfortable at sea and I miss it terribly.

I'm looking to purchase a 1974 E-39, and I was wondering if anyone might be able to assist me. The link below seemed the most promising after looking at boats today. I read a couple of other forums and I noticed the price is considerable lower on the mainland.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...g=en&slim=broker&&hosturl=alawai&&ywo=alawai&

Thank you in advance for any advice you may have. :)

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Hi Sarah,

The boat in the link looks quite lovely, so I can see why you are wanting to buy her. But she is an older boat, so I would definitely suggest that you have her surveyed before you make a decision. If the survey uncovers problem areas, you can use this to negotiate a better price, or at least build the repair costs into your budget.

The engine looks a bit rough, so you may want a mechanic to check it over--the survey does not usually include this.

If you buy her, you may want to take a couple of sailing courses, and maybe find someone in your area with sailing experience that you can take with you on your first few sails to show you the basics. Then practice alot, especially docking your boat, where sailors tend to have the most trouble. Also the book by Nigel Caulder on Sailboat Mechanical Repair (can't remember the exact title, but it's comprehensive textbook) is a must have for reference on maintenance and repair.

Good luck!
Frank

Vagabond39

Member III
Everything is more expensive in Hula land.
The sale price is just the start.
How much maintenance are you competent to do yourself?
How much can you afford to hire done?
Is there a current survey report on the boat?
What sails will you need?
How many qualified sail handlers will you have with you when sailing?
What are the docking fees?
Do you have a budget?
You are wise to ask questions first.
make a lsit.
And a budget.
Good Luck.

Sarah

Thank you

Thank you very much. You have raised new questions that I need to investigate. The boat has already has passed inspection and was valued at $40,000. I have not purchased the full inspection, but the summary did not have any major red flags. I plan to take sailing lessons to get down the basics. I have a friend that has many years of sailing experience that will help me out in the beginning. I guess my biggest concern is that with a boat that old are there traditional problems that occur that I should be aware of. Thanks again for both of your comments.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Sarah, areas that I would check especially carefully in an older boat include moisture in the deck core due to leaking deck hardware, blisters in the hull underwater, leaking windows, worn out standing rigging, older blown out sails, tired diesel engine and outdated electronics and wiring. Some of these will have been covered in the survey, but surveyors often miss things as well.
Good luck!
Frank

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Sarah,

The listing shows that the last survey was done in 2007.
Five years could be a long time for some boats.

I would definately have a current survey done before considering purchasing any boat.

Enjoy,
Bob

Don Smith

Member II
Sarah,

Here on the mainland, there are yacht rental outfits which rent sailboats of various sizes by the day or week. In the marina where I have my boat there's a rental company that rents sailboats ranging from 26ft to 45ft.

If there's such a thing in Hawaii, I recommed you rent some sailboats to help determine what best suits your needs and desires. One young lady I knew at work was about to purchase a sailboat along with her parents. She took my suggestion and after renting a few sailboats, they decided that sailing was too much work and eventually bought a motor boat.

Good luck,

Captain Don
Gitana - E26

Walt Lawrence

Member I
Just wondering what transpired on the 39..

Sarah

I want to commend you on your impecable taste in Ericsons....I have a 39 also...LOL.:egrin: They are great liveaboards and even better sailing, but they can be a handful for one person..especially a neophyte.

Your boat looks really nice, but it is my experience that it is what you can't see that can really hurt.

Just a small note, but the boat has 9000# keel weight, not 15k.

Feel free to email me or call @ 530-227-3416 if I can help at all.

Fair seas,

Walt Lawrence
s/v Sarayu E-39

thomthod

Member II
Sarah

I have to agree, its a nice looking boat. However, starting very large with all the unknowns. I have an Ericson 29 and thought she was in good shape. 2 years later I am at a point where I am finally enjoying her. It was alot of work, and I still have a plethora to go mainly aestethic.

I dont know if anyone has said it but try smaller first. 30 footers are good live aboards.

Regards

Thom