• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Part source for a Perkins 4-108 ?

Sven

Seglare
We are about to head back out after a 2-week stop back in our old marina.

We'd hoped to have some stuff on the engine replaced before leaving but that didn't happen, things like an oil filler cap and the like.

We haven't bought any engine parts (other than the high output alternator) on line and have no experience whatsoever with any Perkins parts suppliers. If anyone has recommendations we'd certainly appreciate it, especially since we expect to be south of the border in a few weeks.

Thanks,

-Sven

clp

Member III
Sven, I would check with New-Holland/Ford. These were very common engines in their backhoes, etc. If my memory serves me, they came in 555C models, and D's, E's, etc.

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Check this source out

Check out this ad, Sven: http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/boa/3381349839.html If I'm not mistaken, you are currently in San Pedro--right? (My boat is in San Pedro at Holiday Harbor.) Dan's "sailboat junkyard" is in Long Beach, so that would be close to you. I've never done business with him myself but have seen his ads frequently. He also has a web site, but it appears to be "under construction" (http://sailboatjunkyard.com/).

Good luck!

--Alan Gomes
1984 E26 "Spartina"
San Pedro, CA

Sven

Seglare
Thx

Thanks for the suggestions. Heading out today but will see where they lead when we get to a slip again.

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have been to the "Sailboat Junkyard" a couple of times. There's a reason it's called a junkyard...

I think his main business is chopping up boats and selling the lead from the keel. The last time I was there he was not negotiable at all, wanting far more, in my opinion, than the pieces I was interested in were worth.

If I were looking for parts for an engine, that is the last place I would trust. In fact, you probably wouldn't find much in the way of "parts"; he'll want to sell you a complete engine.

TDC Equipment in Huntington Beach lists Perkins as one of their product lines. I bought some parts for my Universal M18 engine from them. Their pricing was better than Torresen and they were pleasant to deal with; Dan at the "junkyard" was not...

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
I have been to the "Sailboat Junkyard" a couple of times. There's a reason it's called a junkyard...

I think his main business is chopping up boats and selling the lead from the keel. The last time I was there he was not negotiable at all, wanting far more, in my opinion, than the pieces I was interested in were worth.

If I were looking for parts for an engine, that is the last place I would trust. In fact, you probably wouldn't find much in the way of "parts"; he'll want to sell you a complete engine.

TDC Equipment in Huntington Beach lists Perkins as one of their product lines. I bought some parts for my Universal M18 engine from them. Their pricing was better than Torresen and they were pleasant to deal with; Dan at the "junkyard" was not...

Hello, Mark.

As I mentioned above, I've never done business with this guy so your experience is something Sven would need to consider. I only mentioned him because I saw the ad and it seemed to fit Sven's need, exactly.

After reading your comments, though, I did ask a friend of mine who has gone by there. He agrees that the owner is kind of...ummm..."quirky." And indeed the place is aptly called a boat junkyard. But in his one experience, anyway, he was left alone to rummage through the junk and found exactly the blocks he was looking for and got them for the right price. So it all worked out well for him.

Anyway, granting that the ad was specifically for Perkins 4-108 *parts* (and not a complete engine), it seems to me that it would do no harm to call the guy and ask if he has a specific part and what he wants for it. If the prices on an item are not agreeable then I guess the thing to do is not buy it.

Cheers,
Alan

Guy Stevens

Perkins Parts Pheonix

Now they are called Southwest parts or something like that.

They just get the stuff you need, have the right stuff, etc.

(602) 269-3581

Guy
:)

Sven

Seglare
All the inputs are appreciated.

Just pulled into San Diego and got connectivity.

Just a note to say thanks for the inputs about part sources. We'll definitely follow up.

-Sven