• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

4000 for chain plates ?

Sven

Seglare
Butyl just isn't doing it. Maybe the surfaces weren't clean to start with. Maybe it just isn't suited for really vigorous action.

Anyway ...

I need to tear out all the bedding for the starboard chain plates (get rid of the rubber pads !) and get a new seal.

5200 is out. Is 4000 a reasonable compromise ?

Thx !

-Sven

Glyn Judson

Sealing your chainplates.

Sven, A number of years ago I took on the task of sealing my chainplates and called 3M for advise. The recommendation was that I use 3M 101 http://www.3m.com/product/information/Marine-101-Sealant.html for one big reason. The 3M tech told me that it would adhere to my stainless steel chainplates as well as to the fiberglass of the deck surrounding it. Not only that, but it would remain attached despite any movement of the chainplate in the fiberglass slot. I proceeded to cut a 45° chamfer in the fiberglass of the side deck around each chainplate using a Dremel tool fitted with a tapered stone. After blowing it out and thoroughly cleaning it with acetone, I applied the 3M 101 (black) into all four sides and slid the stainless steel cover plate gently down on it. The next day I removed all the squeeze-out, bedded the screw holes and secured the cover plate. I have never had even a drop of water leak from any of the chainplates since. Cheers, Glyn, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
3M 101 has been discontinued. I've been looking for any unsold stock laying around. This pretty
much leaves Lifecaulk as the only good option.

Martin

Sven

Seglare
Glyn & Martin,

This pretty

I applied the 3M 101 (black) into all four sides and slid the stainless steel cover plate gently down on it. The next day I removed all the squeeze-out, bedded the screw holes and secured the cover plate. I have never had even a drop of water leak from any of the chainplates since.

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like Lifecaulk is the recommendation for today ?

-Sven

Keiffer

Member II
3m 4000uv

When i did this same thing a couple years ago I was informed that 3M 101 had been replaced with 3M 4000UV, the basic difference is the 3M 4000 has UV protection. It has worked well for me and exhibits all of the same characteristics that Glyn mentioned about 3M 101.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Well, 4000UV is not the same as the old 101. It's an adhesive/caulk with a tensile strength around 250 psi. 101 was
a polysulfide with a tensile strength around 139 psi. Sikaflex 201 US is a polyurethane with a tensile strength
of 175 psi, and I would pick that or the Lifecaulk for bedding hardware, knowing that some day it will have to come apart again.

Last edited:

kari

Member III
What are peoples reaction to "duct seal"? Never heard it mentioned for bedding before, it seems almost like butyl putty if that's possible . . . :confused:

Sven

Seglare
3M 101 has been discontinued. I've been looking for any unsold stock laying around. This pretty

Since I have some I'll use it for the chain plates. I was going to switch to white anyway to make it easier to see where voids or gaps might be.

I do wonder why it was discontinued if it is so good and there is no 3M replacement ?

Thx.

-Sven