• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where do you guys store misc. lines?

Andrew Means

Member III
I've got a ton of miscellaneous lengths of rope and can't think of a good way to store them... Right now they're crammed into the shelves on the V-berth but I worry about them molding up there and the invariably end up spilling out everywhere...

Storing lines

If you store them vertically they can "breathe" and will not mildew. In THIS OLD BOAT I found an explanation wherein all the dock lines that you need to take with you (five--all at least as long as the boat's LOA) were stored on a piece of teak the length of the lazerette cover. The teak was glued to the underside of cover with notches in the teak for lines. I stored all my extra lines there. When I raised the cover, they were there for the grabbing. Worked for me for 20 years..

Sven

Seglare
If you store them vertically they can "breathe" and will not mildew. In THIS OLD BOAT I found an explanation wherein all the dock lines that you need to take with you (five--all at least as long as the boat's LOA) were stored on a piece of teak the length of the lazerette cover. The teak was glued to the underside of cover with notches in the teak for lines. I stored all my extra lines there. When I raised the cover, they were there for the grabbing. Worked for me for 20 years..

Do you have a picture ?

We usually use 4 lines per side and have started storing them on the stern pulpit for ease of access but I'd like to know your solution. Our lazarette is stuffed !

-Sven

Storing lines

No picture. Sorry. Let me see if I can describe what it is. The teak strip is about 1-1/2" x 1-1/2". Glued onto the underside of the lazarette cover. So when you lift the cover all the lines are right before you. The places where I put the lines are notches cut into the teak. They are J-shaped, but the radius of the diminishes more the further along you go. The lines are coiled as any sailor would. They are all the same size, but have a bitter end of about six inches. That slides straight into the main part of the J, but then as they go into the decreasing radius they will jam. I'm right handed, so the J was cut "upside down" so the the radius went to the right. I found that, actually, all I ever needed was four lines, but I carried five just to be on the safe side. I am not an accomplished wood worker by any means, so that means if I could do it, anyone can. Further questions answered with speed and willingness.

chappy

Storing lines....

I too store my lines in the lazarette. I have a closet dowel the inside length of my starboard lazarette. About 6" from the hull up high. There are about eight cords about 12" long about 6" apart with a loop on the end. There are
corresponding SS screws for each piece of cord sticking out about a 1/2". The cord is pulled through flaked line and cords loop goes onto the corresponding screw. It is simple and cheep! and I am able to hang all of my spare halyards, dock lines and sheets.

Chappy.
Bellisima
E-35 MKII

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Line Storage

Hi Respected Owners

We can fit two lines in the anchor locker with the anchor line and two fenders on our 28 plus. The remaining 30 ft docklines and extra 50 ft of anchor line are in the lazarette attached to a 1/4 inch line that runs between two hooks that I glassed to the inside of the hull. Plastic snaps keep the lines connected to the 1/4 inch line so the lines are somewhat easy to get out. Those lines are extras and are rarely used.

The dowel mentioned in a earlier owners post is hung from glassed in hooks. The hooks are on the bottom of lazarette seat and we can fit 6 life jackets on the dowel (actually a metal closet rod). They are very easy to get too. No rust or mildew on the dowel or the ropes (yet.) The life jackets are a little mildewed after a lot of years storage there. We should replace them.

Pat
1981 28+ Chips

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Line Storage

Hi Andrew

Sorry. Chips is all buttoned up for winter. Gear all in basement storage Just a little snow on the ground and on the canvas cover. ND/BC and a good high school football game this weekend. Already looking forward to next Spring tho.

Pat

Walter Pearson

Member III
I bonded a wood strip using 3M 5200 to the hull in the port lazarette and attached a pronged line holder with 4 hangers and another one cut to just two hangers. I see by searching just now that S & J Products makes those hangers in singles, doubles, and quad. I think West Marine only carried the four hanger, so I cut and silver-braze a mounting washer to the cut ends. I like these hangers because they have a generous radius and don't have any sharp areas. I could get all my dock lines plug fenders hung from this arrangement.
http://www.sjproducts.com/pdf/Boating Access.pdfPort Laz Bracket1.jpg

windjunkee

Member III
we have the hooks in the V-berth like in the previous photo, then we have a golden rod plugged in and installed immediately above the hooks to keep them dry

Jim McCone
Voice of Reason E-32-2 Hull #134
Redondo Beach, CA