• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

SS wire bridle ?

Sven

Seglare
Thinking of hurricanes and riding out storms using a storm anchor (para-anchor) ...

The main enemy is chafe. That's assuming you have invincible ground tackle and rode or a bullet proof storm sea anchor and rode.

I'm wondering if we shouldn't have a SS wire bridle made that we can shackle to the all chain rode if at anchor, or shackle the 600' of nylon rode to when using the 12' para-anchor.

Mechanically it seems really straightforward. I guess my only question is how one would attach such a bridle to the deck cleats ? Simply loop them over the cleats and secure them in place with lines or loop them in place and then somehow use shackles to keep them from jumping off ?

Thoughts ?

-Sven

eknebel

Member III
While more tackle is normally better in heavy weather, I wonder how bulky large gauge SS cable would be to store. You are right that attachment to the cleats would be a potential failure point. I'm thinking new deadeyes installed on the deck for the shackles. Your all chain rode is pretty immune to chafe, and with anchor removed, makes for a good caternary with the para anchor.

Sven

Seglare
Your all chain rode is pretty immune to chafe, and with anchor removed, makes for a good caternary with the para anchor.

I've really tried to figure out a way of removing the 66 lb claw anchor from the roller in pitching seas so we could use the chain for the para anchor. So far I haven't come up with any ideas that might not be fatal :egrin:

A second roller might be a solution. We'd still need a bridle to take the strain off the windlass but having a bridle for the chain chafe through would not be as disastrous.

The bottom line is that you are absolutely correct.

-Sven

markvone

Sustaining Member
Dyneema bridle (vs wire)?

Sven,

With all the uses for Dyneema cordage instead of wire would it be a viable substitute and easier to deal with for attaching and storage? The use that made me think of Dyneema is for chokers on trees being hualed from the woods in the logging industry. Has to be pretty tough wear-wise to substitute for wire. Just an idea.

Mark

Sven

Seglare
Hi Mark,

With all the uses for Dyneema cordage instead of wire would it be a viable substitute and easier to deal with for attaching and storage? The use that made me think of Dyneema is for chokers on trees being hualed from the woods in the logging industry. Has to be pretty tough wear-wise to substitute for wire. Just an idea.

Interesting suggestion. I thought the Dyneema wasn't very chafe resistant but I'll have to go read up on that.

Regarding storage of an SS bridle, I wouldn't think it would take that heavy a cable to equal a nylon or other line for both chafe and raw strength ? On the other hand, if I'm right, why doesn't everyone in hurricane country have SS bridles instead of tons of chafe gear ?

Thanks,

-Sven

eknebel

Member III
Dyneema and Spectra are very abrasion resistant, and are starting to be used for large scale tow hawsers, being lighter than their steel counterparts. Like you though, I don't see it being used on the cruising market, other than for running and standing rigging on race boats. Cost is certainly a factor, but I wonder if there isn't another issue that limiting it's use. Chain or cable is relatively cheap, add some sort of elastic snubber for shock loads, and you have a system that can withstand quite a bit of sustained heavy weather. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about it:0

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Cost is certainly a factor

I recently chose to use Dyneema for our lifelines and was stoked to discover that it cost us less than uncoated wire. Maybe that's not always the case but I don't think cost is as prohibitive as it once was.

Vagabond39

Member III
SS Cable

I recently chose to use Dyneema for our lifelines and was stoked to discover that it cost us less than uncoated wire. Maybe that's not always the case but I don't think cost is as prohibitive as it once was.
Sven:
There are cable clamps that can lock onto cables without putting a bend or crimp on them. Often used for towed hydrographic bodies. Kellem Grips are used to pull electrical cables through shipboard wire runs and conduits. Stainless steel "Chinese Handcuffs" Kline grip was used for side scan sonar fish. Two SS Blocks that wedged togeather around the cable under strain.
Otherwise, using a rat tail stopper to a padeye was a temporary snub while transfering a line under strain, from winch to cleat .