• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Swim platform

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Similar Thoughts

My wife and I have kept all of our boats on a mooring. As we age it is getting tougher to transit from tender to boat, especially when the wind pipes up. I'm presently refitting a 28 and have been trying to visualize a platform. With the 28's relatively small rear end I'm finding it problematic. Wife nixed the idea of a hinged platform hung by stainless steel chains. Leaning towards hinged with folding stainless steel straps. Al Frakes, Port Kent, NY

Bob Brigham

Member II
Good luck Al. I saw an Island Packet this weekend that had a folding ss and teak platform built just above the exhaust...used with a long ladder at mid ship...this should handle all swimming boarding needs...

Sam Vickery

Member III
Fenderstep

Bob,

Have you considered a fenderstep from defender,com ($59.99). They are also available at WM for a bit more money.

Sam
1986 32-3

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plan C ?

We have been using a Quickstep (r) for over ten years. We clip it onto the aluminum toe rail. It works very well, for shorter people, like my wife.
(If no one's looking, I even use it, too.)
:rolleyes:

http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?52004

Nowdays they seem to come in a one and a two step version.

Note D: I double-braced our boarding stanchion gates (photo in a past thread here), just to make things like this work better...

Loren

Last edited:

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I have always had a problem getting from the inflatable dinghy to a swim platform. I much prefer a step on the transom or side of the hull.

I find that generally the hand holds are too far away or improperly placed on a swim platform.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Sugar Scoop

I just finished my swim deck and wanted to share.
attachment.php
attachment.php

I posted three blog entrys too but I couldn't wait to show it off. It bolts on with stainless bolts and seals with butyl tape and can be removed or replaced in about 45 minutes. (not that I intend to remove it often)

Also here is another link for swim platforms on this site for anyone else looking.
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?12506-swim-platform-kind-of

Attachments

• IMG_0523.jpg
    IMG_0523.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 627
  • IMG_0524.jpg
    IMG_0524.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 577
Last edited:

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Very, very impressive, Shelman. I've seen a couple of others that incorporated propane lockers into the scoop. The problem with adding that to a 29 is that, much like adding a bowsprit, it would pop us clear out of the 30-foot slip zone, into the expensive and unobtainable 40-foot stratus.

Pat O'Connell

Member III
Getting "Back in the Boat"

Hi Respected Sailors
Ran in to a incident last week that might be worth discussing. Mooring Launch operator about my age (70) was helping another boater on the dock. He fell in the water. He could not get back up on the dock. Took about (20) minutes for marina personnel to respond (weekday) and drag him up on the dock. Fortunately no injuries other than cell phone, car keys. and rx sunglasses. (that was about $1.5K) more $$ than he makes working part time in the summer.
This caused me to look again at our stern ladder that I have set up to pull down from the water. I might not be able to climb up it!!! Yikes. I guess my best solution is to sail more with the rubber boat that would give me a leg up?? $$ loss solution is to carry my phone and keys in a waterproof bag in my new backpack....
Best Regards
Pat
1981 E28+ Chips Universal 5411

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
sterns and ladders

Very, very impressive, Shelman. I've seen a couple of others that incorporated propane lockers into the scoop. The problem with adding that to a 29 is that, much like adding a bowsprit, it would pop us clear out of the 30-foot slip zone, into the expensive and unobtainable 40-foot stratus.

Perhaps you moor at a private marina, where 30' is a limit on a whole section of finger docks. I notice that most such businesses try to keep the billing as simple as possible, with few length vs finger dock options. Some have detailed written criteria for how much "overage" is allowed for pulpits, dinghy davits, bow sprits, and etc.

As for re-boarding, I do admire the ease of access to late model sailboats with stern platforms and flip down swimming/boarding ladders. It would be nice to say the industry is trying make boating safer, but I'm not subscribing to that, either.
Shapes of sterns (and bows) in the visual realm above the DWL are mostly promotion-driven. At one time an overhanging counter was very in, then the reverse transom dominated the ads and boat shows. Now we have new fads.
Opinion: Whatever the greater mass of buyers want and are paying to have, whether safe or silly, is what gets built. :rolleyes:

Loren

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Selman,

The sugar scoop turned out beautifully! I too would like to see a side view. I may have missed it in your blog, what did you paint it with?

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I'm scheduled to launch on Saturday so I should be able to get some better shots after that. obviously the idiot at the automotive paint shop cant match a paint chip, but that will have to be put on the list for next spring lol. :mad:

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 477
  • IMG_0551.jpg
    IMG_0551.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG_0545.jpg
    IMG_0545.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 514

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Hi Selman,

The sugar scoop turned out beautifully! I too would like to see a side view. I may have missed it in your blog, what did you paint it with?

Thanks. :egrin:
Two part urethane. Pretty much the only paint I will use.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Any side shots of the sugar scoop? I have thought of this with steps on one side and a locker on the other.

I also considered steps or storage on the sides but in the end I didn't want to over do it, so I went with a minimalist approach. I am still considering handles or something to clip the dinghy on with on the lower portion of the sides, (on the inside of course.) I think I'll see how easy it is to get in from the water without them first though, I don't want it to start to look cluttered.

rpm

Member II
Boarding ladder E28

These boats appear to have come with a standard stern , folding, ladder that reaches into the water. Underway as a single handler I tie it to the stern rail with a bow knot that reaches to grab height in the water. Also, as a handy matter, it has two small horizontal stations to keep it off the boat that I use at anchor to support a self made shelf supporting a storage tub The platform looks magnificent though the ladder does the job too. :egrin:

jschaum

Poor Man's Swim Platform

Last year I made a swim platform for our 32-200 that may be of interest to others. After trying a few dinghy options, we finally settled on a couple of inflatable kayaks (Advanced Elements) primarily based on their light weight and compact storage. But getting in and out of them via the ladder was a precarious adventure and decided we needed some kind of stern platform. I made this from ¾ inch marine plywood cut into a rectangle measuring 15 x 24 inches, with two slots (1.25 x 3 inches) to fit on to the ladder. I also installed two u-shaped brackets on the bottom to fit over the ladder rung and held in place with wire snap safety pins. It is supported by 3/8 inch line that goes under the outer edge of the platform and secures to the stern cleats. Finally I added some non-slip tape and a small cleat. We mount the platform on the third rung from the bottom. It’s easiest to mount it upside down on to the ladder in the up position and then lower it. It can be deployed in a few minutes and easily stows in the lazarette.

Attachments

• IMG_3194.jpg
    IMG_3194.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3206.jpg
    IMG_3206.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 31