Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Spinlock clutch on mast?

Blog Entries
    Good job!

Another approach is to drill and tap the bottom (rear) hole, then turn the clutch around, mount it with a fastener through the front hole (now at the bottom), and use the rear hole (now at the top) to drill the second hole.

The installation instructions for the XAS, including a drilling template, are on the spinlock website, if you ever have occasion to do this again.

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/uploads/f...pdf?1470735104

(from this page: https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...uct_groups/xas)

IIRC, when I mounted mine, I also found that if I put the handle at just the right angle I was able to drill through the upper (forward) hole.

$.02
    Bruce
    "Makana" (ex-Thelonious)
    1985 Ericson 32-III #604
    Makana blog: here

Sustaining Partner
    Quote Originally Posted by bgary View Post
    Good job!

Another approach is to drill and tap the bottom (rear) hole, then turn the clutch around, mount it with a fastener through the front hole (now at the bottom), and use the rear hole (now at the top) to drill the second hole.

The installation instructions for the XAS, including a drilling template, are on the spinlock website, if you ever have occasion to do this again.

https://www.spinlock.co.uk/uploads/f...pdf?1470735104
    (from this page: https://www.spinlock.co.uk/en/catego...uct_groups/xas)

IIRC, when I mounted mine, I also found that if I put the handle at just the right angle I was able to drill through the upper (forward) hole.

$.02
    Bruce
    Thanks!
    That link is slightly useful - but I don't think there was any redirection to it on/with the packaging for the units I received.
    A potential problem with downloaded templates is slight size-shifting when the image is printed out. (they 'Note' this warning in the on-line instructions)
    Here is the key installation instruction at that link for the hole-drilling part:
    • Insert stainless steel M6 (1/4") csk fasteners using full nuts and washers.
    ... not very helpful, really.
    Try as I might, it was definitely not possible to get a drill bit to go down through the body of this clutch model at its forward hole - the handle/lever mechanism was always just a little in the way.

Your idea of installing the first (forward) fastener before drilling the other hole (aft) in the clutch body (initially upside down) is a good one - not sure why I didn't think about that (apart from the distraction caused by the biting cold wind and my inadequate clothing).
    Actually, a little simpler than your method is: decide where the forward hole will be on the mast (maybe by poking a Sharpie pen through the hole) - drill and tap it - don't need the clutch body to guide the drilling. Then mount the clutch loosely by the forward hole fastener (with your preferred mounting gel or fluid) and then drill the aft hole, through the body of the clutch. Swing the clutch aside to tap the thread, then insert the aft fastener (with thread goop), and tighten both fasteners up.
    Last edited by nquigley; 11-26-2019 at 06:43 AM.
    E32-3 #655
    Traveller
    Knoxville, TN