• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Example of alternate windlass install and chain storage for E38-200

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I read all the windlass posts (including the amazing well done recent installations!) We took a slightly different approach. Our new-to-us E38-200 came with a manual windlass (which was well maintained and works fine for us) and the standard chain locker. The windlass was positioned on the foredeck just aft of the chain locker. We moved it into the chain locker as far forward as possible before the gypsy would interfere with the locker's lid. This gives the most chain wrap possible without mounting turning rollers lower down (we wanted to avoid the extra friction).

To reinforce the chain locker we glassed on a thick piece of G10 and tabbed it to the inside of the hull with three layers of thick cloth (I forgot the weight, a friend helped with that part). We left room to access the pulpit backing plates etc.

I sealed the opening between the most forward two v-berth storage spaces under the cushions and installed a 500gph rule bilge pump in the aft most part of the forward storage space. The pump was then plumped as high as possible before dropping down and connecting to the current anchor locker drain hose. There is a one-way flapper valve in the system as well as a strainer on the pump intake. The pump was fused appropriately and wired to a switch on the main DC panel.

The opening between the forepeak and the forward v-berth storage space was enlarged to allow chain to pass more easily and a small PVC pipe was placed in the crease of the hull to provide a surface with less resistance.

We now have 275' of 5/16 high-test chain (Titan chain) connected to a Rocna 20 anchor. The anchor fits perfectly in the bow roller.

Last weekend we tested the setup at two different locations. One was a calm bay with a mud bottom and the other was a sandy bottom at a somewhat exposed "anchorage" adjacent to a small island offshore Northern Baja, Mexico. In Mexico we let out 250' of chain.

The system worked well, especially dropping anchor. When weighing anchor I had to go below a few times to flake the chain but I think when I enlarge the hole between the forepeak and the v-berth it will largely solve that issue. Even if it doesn't it's no big deal and worth it to us to have the chain further aft and lower down. The bilge pump works perfectly so far but I figure it will eventually clog and need clearing... We'll see.

Pics attached. Please forgive the cosmetic stuff, we haven't finished yet. Also please note the green and red jib sheets came with the boat...

I included a pic from the passage just for fun. :egrin: (whoever made these Ericson smiley icons is a legend!) No, the splash was not from excessive bow weight...

IMG_1838.jpg

IMG_3014.jpg

IMG_3030.jpg

IMG_3027.jpg

IMG_3098.jpg

IMG_3081.jpg

206221_10150937934053666_75768417_n-1.jpg

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
What I love about this site is all the creative smart people that come up with solutions like this. Nice job! You West Coast guys anchor in much deeper water with rocks than us up here in New England so the long all chain rode makes sense, as does keeping it as low and aft as possible. I didn't need to do that as I rarely anchor in more than 20-25ft and its 98% mud/sand, so chain/rode setup works for me. Cool setup though. RT

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
What I love about this site is all the creative smart people that come up with solutions like this. Nice job! You West Coast guys anchor in much deeper water with rocks than us up here in New England so the long all chain rode makes sense, as does keeping it as low and aft as possible. I didn't need to do that as I rarely anchor in more than 20-25ft and its 98% mud/sand, so chain/rode setup works for me. Cool setup though. RT

I agree fully. This site was one of the reasons we chose to purchase an Ericson. As for anchoring, it must be nice have mostly shallow mud/sand anchorages. Sigh... New England is amazing. I have never sailed there but I imagine it's incredible. Although maybe a bit cold in the winter?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Sigh... New England is amazing. I have never sailed there but I imagine it's incredible. Although maybe a bit cold in the winter?

Ah, yup. NE does have great sailing for 5-6 months. When its 34*F and sleeting sideways for a week in February I promise you that anchoring someplace warm in deep water wouldn't bother me a bit.
RT

joncyn

Ryan

Great pics, your install looks to be the cleanest I've come across other than rebuilding the entire locker, our boat is a 35-3 with and almost identical chain locker set-up would like to install a Maxwell horizontal after reinforcing the pan just wondering if doing it the way you did does your chain engage enough of the gypsy to be effective and does it run smoothly.

Thanks for any tips

John

lbertran

Member III
Maxwell Horizontal in 35-3

We just installed a Maxwell horizontal windlass in our 35-3. We reinforced the bottom of the anchor pan several years ago when we installed a manual horizontal windlass inside the anchor locker. the rope and chain drop into the forepeak locker below the anchor pan was sufficiently deep for that arrangement. So we simply ran wires and swapped the new maxwell for the old SL manual. Have had a bunch of opportunities to use the new windlass, particularly on a recent two week cruise to the lower Chesapeake Bay. Even though the windlass sits a bit low for the recommended angle of entry of the chain/rode to the gypsy, it still works super well. We're very pleased with the Maxwell HC-8, it has great power and drops and brings back the anchor fast and with no complaints. We bought new chain and eight plait rode and the winch has a very good grip on the rope.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
windlass

So far the chain and windlass work together with zero problems. The only possible issue with this setup that we've found is that when retrieving a long scope you gotta go below once or twice to shove the chain aft (or wait until the end then bring it back but that can take a bit longer as it all ends up in the forepeak). I screwed a small diameter piece of PVC pipe into the "groove" at the center of the hull and it greatly helps the chain slide back on it's own. Regardless, it's worth it in my opinion having the security of chain and the more desirable weight distribution. As for the chain lead from anchor to the windlass I raised the windlass (on sealed hardwood block) until the gypsy was just barely below the lid of the old locker. In this configuration it is a similar lead angle to what would be if the windlass were on deck. The chain and windlass mate perfectly so far.

Ryan

Great pics, your install looks to be the cleanest I've come across other than rebuilding the entire locker, our boat is a 35-3 with and almost identical chain locker set-up would like to install a Maxwell horizontal after reinforcing the pan just wondering if doing it the way you did does your chain engage enough of the gypsy to be effective and does it run smoothly.

Thanks for any tips

John