• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

National flag requirements ?

Sven

Seglare
This is not a flag etiquette question but a question of legal requirements.

It's such a trivial question that I was surprised that I couldn't Google an answer right off the bat.

When are you required to fly a national flag ? When you are documented ? When in a foreign country and flying a courtesy flag ? Never ?

-Sven

brianb00

O - 34
As I recall, and I could be mistaken, when in foreign waters you are required to carry your national flag and possibly fly the flag of the nation being visited once passing customs. Maybe others will know for sure.

Brian

This is not a flag etiquette question but a question of legal requirements.

It's such a trivial question that I was surprised that I couldn't Google an answer right off the bat.

When are you required to fly a national flag ? When you are documented ? When in a foreign country and flying a courtesy flag ? Never ?

-Sven

Flags

When I entered Cuba the last time, I had our flag flying from the stern and a Q flag flying from the starboard spreader. After being cleared in--medical, agriculture, drug-sniffing dog, immigration, customs, etc.--we then took down the Q flag and flew the Cuban flag from the starboard spreader. I was a bit embarrassed when a Cuban official came by the boat and explained to me that I had the Cuban flag flying upside down. oh. Corrected that immediately.

Return to the USA was easy. Because we had been in Cuba, we got a personal inspection from agriculture and customs. Guys were very efficient, very courteous. Then, as we were leaving Key West a few days later, for parts north, we got rolled by a Coast Guard cutter, Monhegan. Big wake. Put in a claim for $10 for a bottle of Cuban rum that got smashed.. Coast Guard hemmed and hawed for a couple of years, lost the paperwork twice, and then paid. I framed the correspondence. The top officer of Coast Guard Group Key West was quoted in The Navy Times as, basically, saying a vessel is not responsible for its own wake, if it's in the channel. He apparently missed Rules of the Road 101. He offered, in the story, to buy me a drink. Well, it's 800 miles round trip from the Tampa Bay area to Key West. I demurred.

DanielW

E-28 Owner
I'll fly the courtesy flag as soon as I reach the territorial waters of the country in question; in my case it is either Indonesia or Malaysia as they are right on the doorstep. I gave up flying the Q flag when visiting my near neighbors and no one seems to care.

One very strange law in Indonesia is that the courtesy flag must be the same size or bigger than your national ensign - mine isn't and no one has ever told me off but I have heard of people being hassled by the Indonesian coast guards over the size of their courtesy flags. I often wonder how the bigger visiting yachts with ensigns the size of a king size bed sheet handle this particular law :egrin: