• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Which Throttle Cable for a 1980 Ericson 30+?

dakotamangus

Hi All,

I am looking to replace the throttle cable on my pedestal steering, 1980 ericson 30+. I believe the pedestal is a Merriman Yacht Systems. If I had to guess the run is at least 12 feet. Any idea which throttle cable to buy? If it is possible to buy it then use the existing one to thread the new that would be preferable, as the run goes behind a waterheater and the fuel tank.

thanks!
Brian Gill

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
As I recall, not perfectly clearly, when I removed my water heater and fuel tank the throttle cable might have gone under the plywood floor that the water heater sits on over the fuel tank. That cable is pretty stiff, so it might be a chore to pull it through using the old cable. When I replaced my fuel tank I ran the cable under the tank to try to make the bends in the cable larger.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
When we changed the cables on our E30+ I did an approximate measurement and then bought the closest size at our local chandlery. I changed the routing to be more direct and shorter, while avoiding any tight bends in the cable. I bought the more expensive of the two available types to minimize friction. Routing was easier than I expected (rare on a boat project!), as it didn't require a messenger, I just pushed it through where I wanted it to go, and then completed the attachment.
Good luck with it!
Frank

dakotamangus

Thanks Guys. It looks like it goes to starboard of the water heater against the bulkhead for the quarterberth, but either way you are right, it may be tough to pull.

I posted at Sailnet.com too, and someone over there indicated it might be these:
More than likely Teleflex (black)/Morse (red) 33C series cables as they were industry wide.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Frank, do you remember what you bought? I saw a 15 foot Morse 33C online that looks about right.

Thanks for the help.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
By re-routing, I was able to reduce the length. I think the throttle was 8 foot and the gear shift cable was 10 foot, but that was three years ago. I remember I was able to do an approximate measurement with a tape measure that proved to be close enough, given that the cable only comes by the foot. I'm away from the boat, so can't check it for you.
Frank