• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newbie looking at an Ericson :)

ChrisLee

Hello,

I just moved to Oceanside CA after 6 years of being landlocked in Colorado. I grew up sailing sunfish's and lots of windsurfing and over the past few years have sailed my dad's Catalina 16 a few times.

I am looking at getting a sailboat with a slip in Oceanside Harbor. There is a waiting list to get into the harbor and if you want "in" right away you need to purchase a boat with a slip. There are a few brokers in the area (oside yachts, breakwater yachts, yearly sailboats). Breakwater has a 1974 27' Ericson for sale with a slip in a great location.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/list...units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=1394&url=

There is a "Premium" paid for the slip but was wondering what all of you folks thought about this boat?

I am also looking for anybody in the area that is willing (or I can hire) to show me the ropes.

Thanks Chris

kari

Member III
I love my 27 so I am biased . . . but that one looks to be in great shape, they're great boats, ask Jeff Asbury . . . I say go for it!

toddbrsd

Ex-Viking, Now Native American
There is a "Premium" paid for the slip but was wondering what all of you folks thought about this boat?

I am also looking for anybody in the area that is willing (or I can hire) to show me the ropes.

I guess it depends on how much of a premium you want to pay as compared to comparable E-27s Asking price seems a tad high, but I am sure there is room for negotiation. The boat does look to be in good shape. How about the sails and rigging? The old VHF and Loran would also give me pause for concern as to what else needs updating. I personally would not pay full price. I bought my E-27, 2 years ago in Long Beach, CA for $5,000 with an asking price of $6900. You can check out my album as a comparison. Took a little cleaning, but that was cheap labor, Me!

You are a little too far south for me to travel. I believe there are other E-27 owners much closer. But if you buy it (and you will be happy with it if you do!) and want to drive up to Long Beach, I would be happy to take you out on mine. Only difference is I have inboard and wheel steering.

Good Luck

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Ironic that they include a picture of a Loran receiver. That device no longer even has a signal to pick up.

OTOH, that nice OB is worth about 2200+ dollars by itself if it's in good condition.
I imagine that slips are worth something, even with a recession on.
(Quite a few marinas around the NW that used to have multiple-year waiting lists now have vacant slips...)

I suspect that open slips must still be hard to find in SoCal, though.

Best of luck, and do get a good survey before completely surrendering to the Dream (no matter what make of boat you buy).
:egrin:

LB

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
ask Jeff Asbury . . . I say go for it![/QUOTE said:
Well, Jeff Asbury here. E-27'a are Great strong, stable and comfortable boats! Heavy though, but I always feel safe on mine.

I just scanned through the specs and photos. 10,000 seems a little high to me considering it has an outboard, but there are advantages to a OB when the engine needs service. Very nice cockpit cushions, but I wonder what the gel coat looks like underneath them. I see a roller furler and spinnaker pole. The VHF is pretty dated, but you can get a new one for $150. these days, also you can probably throw away that Loran unit, just get a hand held GPS> I hope that big refrigerator is bolted down. If they are firm at 10K get a professional survey and haul out done. Check glassed in chain plates and bottom for blisters.

It's a buyers market right now up here in the San Pedro Long Beach area. I have a dock neighbor that's selling a 73" E-27 with a freshly rebuilt Atomic 4 and Radar, not to mention the interior is really nice for 6K. I also know of a sweet 1977 E-25 at Shoreline in Long Beach going for 3K with hardly used new sails, fresh canvas and cushions and a Merc 9.9.

Wish I lived closer, I would take a look at it for you. It sounds like if you really want to be in Oceanside, you are limited to the boats for sale there. Check these sites for other E-27's to get some price comparisons.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sailboats/Ericson

http://www.yachtworld.com

I do Love my 73 E-27, but I have invested a lot of time and money into her. Pick it up as a Repo in San Diego for $6,200. 10 years ago. I had a total of 14K spent on her in the first year.

Remember. B-O-A-T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Happy Shopping

-Jeff

Alan Gomes

Sustaining Partner
Slips are not hard to find in SoCalif.

:egrin:

LB

Actually, Loren, it's very easy to find a slip in many places in SoCal. In San Pedro, for instance, there is a brand new marina that has tons of openings. The older but still pretty nice Cabrillo Marina is only about 80% full. I also see some of the marinas in Del Rey advertising to fill openings. It ain't like it used to be!

Cheers,
Alan

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
If you buy the boat I see your first job- get those aboveboard gas tanks back aboveboard! What you have now is called a bomb... Otherwise it looks promising. Get a good survey.

ChrisLee

yes i am pretty set on oceanside as i live a few miles from the marina. this is how i get my SUP there :)

751f1d7d.jpg

I am going to look at it again tomorrow with somebody who has owned a few boats before. I'll probably start at $8k and see where that goes. Thanks for all the advice and please keep it coming. If anybody knows a good person to do a survey in the area please let me know. Thanks Chris

Last edited:

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Well, Jeff Asbury here. E-27'a are Great strong, stable and comfortable boats! Heavy though, but I always feel safe on mine.

I just scanned through the specs and photos. 10,000 seems a little high to me considering it has an outboard, but there are advantages to a OB when the engine needs service. Very nice cockpit cushions, but I wonder what the gel coat looks like underneath them. I see a roller furler and spinnaker pole. The VHF is pretty dated, but you can get a new one for $150. these days, also you can probably throw away that Loran unit, just get a hand held GPS> I hope that big refrigerator is bolted down. If they are firm at 10K get a professional survey and haul out done. Check glassed in chain plates and bottom for blisters.

It's a buyers market right now up here in the San Pedro Long Beach area. I have a dock neighbor that's selling a 73" E-27 with a freshly rebuilt Atomic 4 and Radar, not to mention the interior is really nice for 6K. I also know of a sweet 1977 E-25 at Shoreline in Long Beach going for 3K with hardly used new sails, fresh canvas and cushions and a Merc 9.9.

Wish I lived closer, I would take a look at it for you. It sounds like if you really want to be in Oceanside, you are limited to the boats for sale there. Check these sites for other E-27's to get some price comparisons.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/sailboats/Ericson

http://www.yachtworld.com

I do Love my 73 E-27, but I have invested a lot of time and money into her. Pick it up as a Repo in San Diego for $6,200. 10 years ago. I had a total of 14K spent on her in the first year.

Remember. B-O-A-T = Break Out Another Thousand.

Happy Shopping

-Jeff

You sure it's not spelled, "BOATT?" I think you missed a zero.

Sven

Seglare

Actually, times are 'achanging'.

Here in Cabrillo (the best So. Cal marina we've been in) there are quite a few 30' and 40' slips available. The brand new marina across the water has 100s of not yet finished slips.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Actually, times are 'achanging'.

Here in Cabrillo (the best So. Cal marina we've been in) there are quite a few 30' and 40' slips available. The brand new marina across the water has 100s of not yet finished slips.

-Sven

Actually I heard the new slips (Phase 2) at Cabrillo Way Marina, on the East side of the West Channel are finished. They just are not renting them out until they fill all the Phase 1 slips.

Here's a link to Cabrillo Way Marina's new web site where none of the links work yet. It shows a older aerial view before Phase one was completed, and the old crappy docks are still in place. I heard that slips rates for larger boats are close to $13. bucks a foot.

http://www.cabrillowaymarina.com

I have a dock neighbor who has a Cal 34 and he just moved over to Cabrillo Yacht Club because the rates were cheaper than Cabrillo Marina, but he was on a waiting list for quite a while. He tell me that the amenities are the best out of all the other Marinas in the area.

Confused yet? Here are the 3 Cabrillos:

Cabrillo Marina: http://www.cymcabrillo.com

Cabrillo Way Marina: http://www.cabrillowaymarina.com

Cabrillo Beach Yacht Club: http://www.cbyc.org

Then we also have Holiday Harbor Marina: http://www.holidayharborcm.com

All and all, prices all seem to be pretty close to fixed at all four, which seems not right to me.

All & All, quite a few slips available in the San Pedro West Channel area, aka "Marina Del Pedro". :devil:

Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
Hi Chris

I'm berthed in Oceanside, so leave me a message on this site on how best to contact you and we can meet up at the dock some time.

The rule of thumb is that an O-side slip adds $5000 to the ask price of the boat. I guess that's why slip renters get an annual $50 property tax bill, even though the harbor makes it clear we are renters and not owners. Amazing what a five year waiting list can do.

--Paul
E29 "Bear"

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
All & All, quite a few slips available in the San Pedro West Channel area, aka "Marina Del Pedro". :devil:

Si, señor. Nothing like returning from the islands on a Sunday afternoon to find the parking lot jammed with families (yes, minivans full of families) watching the latino transvestite karaoke show. Every f'ing Sunday.

But the marina is pretty secure and the prices aren't bad. I've been on the waiting list at Cabrillo Way since 2006, but I'm not sure I want to pay the additional $150/month fees. How much is it worth to avoid gagging from the smell when you walk into the marina restroom?

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Which Marina? Cabrillo Marina's are just about spotless and are only open to tenants with keys.

Oh, I thought you were referring to my marina as "marina del pedro," because that sums it up pretty well. I'm in San Pedro Marina, behind the blue building south of Acapulco, and just north of Ports o' Call, on the Main Channel. Our restrooms are in that blue building, and we only need a key when the blue "restaurant" is closed. Every sunday there's horribly distorted muzak coming from the stage to the south of that building.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Oh, I thought you were referring to my marina as "marina del pedro," because that sums it up pretty well. I'm in San Pedro Marina, behind the blue building south of Acapulco, and just north of Ports o' Call, on the Main Channel. Our restrooms are in that blue building, and we only need a key when the blue "restaurant" is closed. Every sunday there's horribly distorted muzak coming from the stage to the south of that building.

Nope, "Marina Del Pedro" is what the locals have been referring to all the new developments in the West Channel as starting to look like Marina Del Rey. :rolleyes: