• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Newbie looking at an Ericson :)

ChrisLee

just got back from another look with a second set of eyes. Going to move forward with an offer and see what the actual "slip premium" is. He's has boats up in dana point and said the oceanside bathrooms were AMAZING.

ChrisLee

Can anybody tell me if the outboard looks like it is a "long" shaft?

3827526_-1_20120112131402_2_0.jpg

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.

That would be my guess, but only a guess.

What kind of motor is it? Make? Model? HP? Look up the dimensions for the long shaft version online and compare.

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner

I can't tell from the photos, but I would make sure it is a Long Shaft. In fact, the longer the better. I believe some makes and models even offer extra long shafts. Nothing worse than having the prop coming out of the water in big seas.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Long and Longer...

I recall being told once that an outboard "short" shaft is 15", "long" shaft is 20", and the "extra long" shaft is 25".
We had a 25" Hi Thrust Yamaha 10 - 25" shaft - on our prior Niagara 26. Truly a great displacement hull engine, with a 2.9 to 1 (!) gear ratio. We never had that prop pop out of the water, although the prior Honda 10 long shaft model would, once in a while in a steep chop.

Loren

Last edited:

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Looks like the Power Thrust version (writing on cowling and appears to be 4 blades on the prop). At first I thought it was the 20 inch version but looking at a photo of my boat it could be 25 (I have a 25 yamaha). Best take a tape to it.

boat151.jpg

P2120073.jpg

Weird these photos show up as a link. Usually they just come up embedded in the email...

Last edited:

Vagabond39

Member III
Loran

Loren:
"Ironic that they include a picture of a Loran receiver. That device no longer even has a signal to pick up. "
That receiver will be necessary when cruising the Twilight Zone!:0

Vagabond39

Member III
Honda

i'm pretty sure it's a "standard" long shaft but i don't know.

http://buyhondaoutboards.com/Honda-8hp-outboard.html

If it is the "standard series" than the shaft is 20 inches.

If it's the power thrust series it may be 25 inches

from this picture you can tell there is some writing under the "8" but i can't make it out

3827526_-1_20120112130500_1_0.jpg
Chris:
Check for a frame number on the Starboard side of the pivot area. It will indicate length L, S, or XL and serial #.
Nice looking
Good luck

ChrisLee

Looks like the Power Thrust version (writing on cowling and appears to be 4 blades on the prop). At first I thought it was the 20 inch version but looking at a photo of my boat it could be 25 (I have a 25 yamaha). Best take a tape to it.

boat151.jpg

P2120073.jpg

Weird these photos show up as a link. Usually they just come up embedded in the email...

I went paddle boarding in the harbor yesterday and confirmed it is the Power Thrust version. I didn't measure it but happy it's the nicer motor

ChrisLee

After the sail trial i have decided to let this boat go. The bottom has been neglected which isn't a huge deal however the engine wasn't running great. They had it looked at and offered up a small credit but I just don't feel like dealing with it for the price we agreed on.

The Search Continues!

Dave N

Member III
Good decision

Good decision! There are good examples out there for not much more $$ than the troubled ones. Take your time and keep looking. It took me two years to find my current boat and I looked at many, many, many candidates. And drove many, many miles. There is one out there with your name on it, be patient. Invest your time before your money. It will be so worth it in the end.

thomthod

Member II
You know there are so many boats out there! My suggestion to you is find a sailclub to join and let everyone know you are looking. You never know what can fall right in your lap. Nothing like Networking! Somebody in our club just bought a Halberg Rassy 31 for 5k. It had a blown motor so he put one in for 6k and now has a beautiful boat. These boats sell between 25-40k.

T