• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Oil change help

jengels

Member II
I'm trying to empty the oil from my Universal Medalist diesel with a hand extraction pump. I put the tube down the dipstick hole and tried to pump it out. As I pull up on the handle it is pull back down as if there some kind of suction and no oil is brought out. I have removed the filter and fill cap. Any advice?

John

jengels

Member II
Nevermind

I read some of the articles that came up as "similar" and got some tips there. I hadn't run the engine first so I'll try that.

John

TRMN8R

Member II
I read some of the articles that came up as "similar" and got some tips there. I hadn't run the engine first so I'll try that. John
Run the engine to heat up the oil first. Is the new filter on? Don't know which oil extraction device you are using, but the one I use (Fr West Marine) the suction process starts slowly at first. Don't need to constantly pump the device once started, just pump enough to keep negative pressure. Hope this helps!

MarkA

Please Contact Admin.
Also, mine works best with the oil filter in place, the fill cap on, and only the dipstick removed--and I''m not sure why. Gotta heat the oil, and then fish around for optimal lift tube placement; too deep and it can curl up above the level of the oil. After years of sucking out only 3.5 to 4 quarts of my 5-quart capacity, I finally succeeded in removing the full 5 quarts recently! I felt seriously accomplished at that point.

jengels

Member II
Thanks

Thanks guys, I'll try heating up the oil. I have to wait until I get my new impeller which is on order at West Marine. I have the seawater pump off so It'll be sometime next week. I'll report.

John

SteveL

Member I
It's helpful to place an oil absorbant pad under the area you're working on. Minimizes the amount of oil that finds it's way into the bilge.